Share files with Windows via network

Madelin

Registered
Ive had this problem for some time now. Ive tryed all solutions available on the internet but none seem to apply to Windows Home Edition.

I can connect to my Mac with both Home and Professional windows machines and play songs from my macs iTunes library.

I CANNOT connect to the windows machine with the Mac, although i can view its iTunes library i cant play any of the songs as it says 'Connecting to Server' for ages. When trying to view the files on the windows Home computer i get the message 'The Alias ***** could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found'.

I have no problem connecting to the Windows Professional computer though.

Is it possible to connect to Home editions of windows?

Thank you.

Try opening Directory Access in /applications/utilities/directory access.app

Unlock, and configure SMB/CIFS - verify the workgroup name matches the Windows network.

Thanks eric that seemed to fix the issue with iTunes.

Now im able to browse and play songs on the Windows Home with my mac but am still unable to connect to it to view its files. I still get the error 'The Alias ***** could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found'. I am given the option to 'Fix Alias' but i dont know how to browse for a networked computer.

Try connecting directly. On the start menu of the windows machine, click "run...", and type cmd. In the command prompt, type "ipconfig". Take note of the IP address displayed. On the mac, do go -> connect to server, and type in smb://<ip address> - so it will look like smb://192.168.1.1, if your IP is 192.168.1.1.

Thanks again eric. I did what you said, typed in the Windows' username and password but im being told that the username or password is incorrect, im sure its not wrong.

Would the problem lie in the fact the user name is two seperate words? Or even that the password is blank?

Thanks again

Back