Share Internet Connection via Airport

Chibi15

Official ai tenshi
Hi!

I currently have an iBook and i am planning to buy an iMac.
I would like to equip both Macs with airport but i have a few questions...

1) Do i need an aiport basestation if i only want to share files between the 2 macs (no internet connection) ?

2) I have an strange way to connect to the internet (using 3rd party PPTP utilities) and i’ve heard that i could make my iMac a "software-base station" independant of the way how i connect to the internet - is this true?

-- Chibi15

Originally posted by Chibi15
Hi!

I currently have an iBook and i am planning to buy an iMac.
I would like to equip both Macs with airport but i have a few questions...

1) Do i need an aiport basestation if i only want to share files between the 2 macs (no internet connection) ?
No, you can create a computer-to-computer network and share files without a base station.

2) I have an strange way to connect to the internet (using 3rd party PPTP utilities) and i’ve heard that i could make my iMac a "software-base station" independant of the way how i connect to the internet - is this true?

-- Chibi15
This is theoretically true, but I have not been able to get it working. simX originally pointed me to this link:
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/kind=1&db=mac&id=13335/SWBSX032f.sit.tgz

I did everything as explained, but when I turn on Internet Connection sharing I lose the connection totally. That is, the connection is made correctly, but the computer acts as if there is no connection (both my computer and the one I am trying to share the connection with act this way). As soon as I turn off the connection sharing, my connection works fine (but of course the other computer can't access the net.).

Originally posted by nkuvu

No, you can create a computer-to-computer network and share files without a base station.

Thanks for your help!

This sounds very good! But are you absolutely true that this works?
How far wil the connection work this way? And will i am able to use TCP/IP as well es FileSharing etc.?

Originally posted by Chibi15

Thanks for your help!

This sounds very good! But are you absolutely true that this works?
How far wil the connection work this way? And will i am able to use TCP/IP as well es FileSharing etc.?
I am absolutely sure. I have a computer-to-computer network running with my roommate's iMac without any problems. I am pretty sure that there are a few threads already on how to set this up, but let me know if you can't find them.

I think the range of the AirPort cards is 100-150 feet (30-45 meters). This depends on things like interference (metal kills the connection, so I have heard). I am not positive. I have an iMac, my roommate has an iMac, they're not things like laptops where they change position frequently.

I already addressed the TCP/IP issue -- I've been told that it works, but I haven't been able to get it to work myself. So I don't know. Sorry. :(

This Apple Support page has some FAQs about the AirPort.

It is very easy to set up and does not depend on your network connection. If you want a very simple way of doing this without buying third party software, goto:

http://homepage.mac.com/gdif/masqfirewall.html

This page gives step by step instructions. I used these instructions to setup my software base station in no time at all.

Good Luck.
SA:)

Back