share points on second hard drive

meancode

Registered
hello all,

i have a quicksilver g4 733, 1 GIG RAM. am running a clean install of OSXS 10.1. it has 2 60 GIG drives in it. i have a number of share points on the main drive setup, about 10. i want to setup 5 on the second hard drive. the admin app will not allow me to select directories within the second hard drives as share ponts, only the hard drive itself.

my only solution is to partion that secod hard drive 4 ways, so that i can setup the different partions as share points. this isnt an optimal solution, but it will do it need be.

am i doing something stupid here, no holding my jaw just right? why cant i select a directory on the second hard drive and make it a share point,

i get an error, cant remember off hand, but it is a "file sharing module" error. tia.

In an effort to avoid insulting you, yes you must be doing something wrong.

Have you setup DNS properly?

hey,

thanks for posting to my problem.

no i am not running DNS at all, the university takes care of the DNS, but i do not know what that would have to do with share points on the second HD.

i formatted both drives, installed OS X Server 10.1 on the first drive. i am running File, Print, Web, Mac Manager, FTP. it will not allow me to make a sharepoint on the second HD, unless i share the entire HD. even if i turn all services off but File, i still cannot share a directory on the second HD.

Ok let me restate the question and give some extra data:

Do you have a DNS entry for your server. You should not be running DNS rather the DNS server you are using should have an entry for your static IP address.

Now this maybe really dumb but when you click the check box that say share this item does it show up in the list as active share points? You site that you are getting an error? What is the message. I have never seen an error but it could happen.

What file system are your other drives? HFS, HFS+, UFS

The format may be the problem.

The DNS thing is really something to make the overall product behave.

Also have you updated to 10.1.1?

Back