Shared Harddrive automatically being renamed

pelicani

Registered
I've had a harddrive connecting to an imac for a couple years. The harddrive is named 'fasternine'. Connecting to it has never been a problem. However, the name of the drive over the network has magically changed 3 times. It is currently named fasternine-3. It has already been named fasternine-1 and fasternine-2. The normal operation over the network is not a problem. The only problem is with my iPhoto library. It can't find fasternine-3 because it is looking for fasternine-2. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks in advance.
peace,
michael

Sounds like the links in /Volumes are not being removed properly at dismount or something. I'm not a super-expert in this area, but perhaps you need to repair disk permissions and consider rebooting.

You might also try reapplying the most recent Mac OS X Combo update.

That's exactly what's happening -- for some reason, the hard drive is not being UNmounted properly, either when a user logs out or something. It can also be caused by the network connection being severed while the drive is mounted -- in that case, you would have lingering mount points, and when you try and mount the hard drive after restoring network connectivity, the name would be changed to be unique... by adding a dash and an incremental counter at the end.

Can you describe your setup in more detail? Who is connecting to the drive? How are they connecting to the drive? How are they DISconnecting from the drive when they're done with it?

In my experience, a simple reboot of the machine will clear out all those old "sharepoint-2" and "sharepoint-3" and "sharepoint-whatever" mountpoints.

Thanks for both responses, I took your suggestion about Volumes and found a volumes directory on my remote machine. All 4 of the names were listed. I quit iPhoto and removed all of them. Now it works like a charm. I'm not sure about the reboot or what, but now I know how to correct the problem. Thanks so very much.
peace,
michael

Back