Shared printer problem OSX

AlecD

Registered
I can't print from OSX 10.2 via a Belkin wireless router to an Epson RX420 connected to 10.4. The printer shows up in Print Center - hosted by the remote computer, but no printing happens. I have turned printer sharing on in the host.
Not sure the difference between Networked printer, Shared printer, Rendezvous (Bonjour) printer, Appletalk, Airport. Makes troubleshooting confusing.
Should 'Print & Fax' appear in Sys Prefs in !0.2? Missing in mine.
Are there certain printers that just won't work over a network? The fact that it shows up in Print Center suggests it should. I have the latest Epson driver. Gimp-print does not support the RX420.
Alec

I'm surprised it doesn't work if you have the same Epson driver installed, but I don't have a Jaguar computer here to test with.
Here's an alternate sharing method -
Find the printer queue name on the Mac with the printer by going to Printer Setup, highlighting the printer, and clicking Show Info.
On Jaguar ,in Print Center, hold option key and click ADD and select Advanced. Then select IP printing/ http (something like that). Enter this URI:
http://{IP_of_Tiger}:631/printers/{queue_name}
For model, choose Apple Color LaserWriter. You will be sending color postscript from Jaguar to the print queue. It gets translated on the Tiger "server."
Try it.

Good luck.

I seem to have got it working. I deleted the various entries of the printer in Jaguar Print Center. Tried your IP suggestion, to no avail, then when the automatic (Rendezvous) entry came up again tried that.
Jaguar didn't want the long IP address (with prefix and suffix) - just the numbers. It has a separate Queue Name field. I tried typing the lot as you suggested in the IP field.
I'm still not sure why a driver has to exist anywhere but on the host computer. The printer is coming up as a rendezvous printer, not an appletalk one, so appletalk needn't be on?
many thanks

I am in a school... and this is happening on 6 new ibooks...I have many HP cp1160- and 10.4.4--- printer setup utilitySOMETIMES shows every named printer as both shared AND Appletalk.... if that shows up, and I choose the shared one, and it is fine.... for a while. Then the next time we go to print, there are NO printers. If I choose ADD.... appletalk is the only choice... and if I choose the appletalk named printer, printer setup crashes.

I have tried putting in the printers as their IP address using Gutenrprint 5.0.0rc2.

I have tried printer set repair

I have reset printers

I cannot get to the advanced options, because if I hold down option while clicking on MORE PRINTERS< printer setup utility crashes.

This is very frustrating for my teachers... any one have any ideas????

Thanks
Laura

Laura,
First - there are serious bugs in GutenPrint 5rc2. I hope you still have the original Beta Gimp-Print drivers on the computers- you should be able to reinstall from the DVD.

Do all the computers have Printer Setup Utility crash with option-More Printers?

Try re-updating OS X using the downloaded Combination Updater.
If that doesn't work, you'll need to reinstall OS X using the Archive & Install option in the installer.

I'd rather not use the Gutenprint anyway.... what I really want is for the choice to choose the printer as a shared printer instead of a appletalk printer..

yes, all the printer setups on all the laptops (13) crash when going to option- more printers..

I'd really rather not have to reinstall Tiger... they are all updated fully on software update, so there is no update available for them.

Any other option than reinstall????

Please download the latest Combination Updater from Apple- This is a common troubleshooting procedure. I am NOT talking about using the built-in software update system.

OK- I have downloaded the updater.... but have not yet installed it on the offending computers... because this morning, they all showed the printers as both SHARED and APPLETALK, so the SHARED one is the one that works... perhaps the gremlins have lost interest? Or it may not stick the next time we look at printer set up. I'll be back in touch when I get a chance to get to it.

Many thanks for your advice.

Back