Sharepoints

joshiieee

Registered
Ok. I just installed Sharepoints on my PB G4 12" running Mac OS X 10.3.9. On our local network we have 3 other PCs. 2 running Windows XP SP2 and one running Windows 2000. The main concern is how to share an external USB 2.0 HardDrive connected to the Mac over the network with the 2 computers running XP. The Win2000 isn't really as important.

All sharing options are checked in System Preferences and I have set SharePoints to do the following: I added the Mac HardDrive and the External HardDrive. The Mac HD is set with the share name of "Mac" and the External is set with the share name of "Drive." They both have been set with all r/w permissions checked. AFS and SMB are both +. Inherit permissions is turned on. Owner is set to "joshiieee" which is the main and only user account I have set up for my Mac. Group is set to "admin."

Under SMB Properties > General Properties I made the Workgroup name: "Workgroup" bec that's where the shared PCs show up on the other PCs. The security method is set at "USER" and the Server Info String is "Mac OS X." Now...I left the WINS Server line and the Server NetBios Name line both blank. I had no idea what I was supposed to put there. Under Home Directories I have the SHARED and BROWSEABLE boxes checked. I have pressed the update SAMBA button.

I checked the smb.conf file and this is how it reads:

Code:
[global]
guest account = unknown
encrypt passwords = yes
auth methods = guest opendirectory
passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
printer admin = @admin, @staff
server string = Mac OS X
unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
display charset = UTF-8-MAC
dos charset = CP0
use spnego = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = no
os level = 8
vfs objects = darwin_acls
defer sharing violations = no
workgroup = Workgroup
password server = *
security = USER
hide files = .Trashes/Temporary Items/Desktop */TheFindByContentFolder/
map to guest = Bad User
local master = yes
hide dot files = no

[homes]
comment = User Home Directories
browseable = yes
read only = no

;[public]
;path = /tmp
;public = yes
;only guest = yes
;writable = yes
;printable = no

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes

[Mac]
path = /
read only = No
inherit permissions = Yes
guest ok = Yes
;Created by SharePoints

[Drive]
path = /Volumes/160GB HD
read only = No
inherit permissions = Yes
guest ok = Yes
;Created by SharePoints

Now...when I go to the PC, the Mac doesn't show up anywhere. I checked the Sharing part of System Preferences to get my IP address and tried connecting to it through a browser and it says that it can't be found. Now...does anyone know where I went wrong?

I started writing an answer to your post last night. Then, I stopped to check a few things out.

I recently updated to 10.3.9. After doing so, I checked immediately to see if I could access the 3 PCs on my network--no problem. I never looked to see if I could access my iBook from the PCs. I checked, and I couldn't.

To make a long story short, I was able to access my user folder from the PCs simply by adding a network place (i.e., using my iBook's IP address). This procedure never used to work for me; I used to have to use a more complicated approach.

And, I never had trouble sharing, for example, the external drive hooked to my iBook with the PCs using SharePoints. I have tried the things you have, as well as other things, and have been unsuccessful. Maybe it is a 10.3.9 problem because I never had problems with the external before.

Maybe someone else has some ideas. I will post back if I figure it out, but I think I have tried everything reasonable. In desperation, I also tried sharing my iBooks external--no dice--just like you.

joshiieee said:
Now...when I go to the PC, the Mac doesn't show up anywhere. I checked the Sharing part of System Preferences to get my IP address and tried connecting to it through a browser and it says that it can't be found. Now...does anyone know where I went wrong?

I undated to Tiger and suddenly the shares I was having trouble with appeared magically. Yea Tiger! Maybe our problem is/was a 10.3.9 problem. As said, I never had the problem before 10.3.9.

Back