Sharing Desktop between Hard disks

jomaan

Super Bull
Recentlly I installed a 4Gb SCSI Hard Disk onto Adaptec SCSI card2906. The hard disk was formatted and mounted without problems, but one thing was wierd, no DESKTOP folder appears on it… and I cannot put antthing on dektop because it's been copied onto Primary Hard disk.
I tried to create a Desktop folder manually, but didn't work, and now this folder canot be erased because finder say's "The finder needs this item in this ubication".

Well… How can I create a working DESKTOP folder?

Many thx

There won't be a desktop folder on it because its a local, not network drive so the desktop folder is on your actual desktop. Try copying a file into the root directory of the drive and then moving it out onto the desktop - because it is already on a local drive, it should move the file and not copy it onto your startup drive. Not sure how to get rid of the one you've made tho. It may sort itself out when you manage to put something in the real desktop folder of that disk.

Originally posted by Factor41
There won't be a desktop folder on it because its a local, not network drive so the desktop folder is on your actual desktop. Try copying a file into the root directory of the drive and then moving it out onto the desktop - because it is already on a local drive, it should move the file and not copy it onto your startup drive. Not sure how to get rid of the one you've made tho. It may sort itself out when you manage to put something in the real desktop folder of that disk.

Didn't work… I'm not sure if explained ok in my first message… But in my home computer I installed two hard disk and two hard disk have the Desktop folder, working desktop folders, the second hard disk cannot drag files directly in the desktop, but if I put into de DEKTOP folder, the file appears in desktop.

Then I wan't to know if exists any way to have desktop folders for hard disks like in Os 9???

thx

Ah, i think i getcha.

The desktop folders in OS X do not reside in the root of the hard drive as the OS 9 ones do. The folder you require is in the Users folder, in the specific user folder, called Desktop. That being the case, the whole desktop may have to reside in wherever the user folder is located, so maybe you're right after all and you can't have one on that disk seperately. Maybe just leave it where it is, and put an alias in the desktop folder?

there is a key combo that you can hold down and it will just move, not copy. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head though. I'll do some playing around and see if i can find it.

... hold down the command key while dragging it to the desktop. it will copy and then delete the original.

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
... hold down the command key while dragging it to the desktop. it will copy and then delete the original.

Yes… the file has been copied onto the desktop… but in the desktop folder of Primary Hard disk.
Remember, My objective is to place files from secondary disk onto desktop, only place on it, I don't wanna do a copy.
:(
Well I think there's no solution…
But I'm open to recive possible ways to do it

Back