Sharing Folders in MAC OS X.2 (JAGUAR)

bondiblue

Registered
I'm have a network with an imac with MAC OS X.2 and Win XP. I can access XP folders from X.2, but XP cannot see my folders. The only folder that XP can see is its own home user directory.

How can I share folders in MAC OS X? I tried to change the "owners and groups", without success...

Originally posted by bondiblue
I'm have a network with an imac with MAC OS X.2 and Win XP. I can access XP folders from X.2, but XP cannot see my folders. The only folder that XP can see is its own home user directory.

How can I share folders in MAC OS X? I tried to change the "owners and groups", without success...

But samba is enable when you start a windows sharing. You can see it when accessing from XP. It says "Samba server 2.2.3".

Hang on, I'm confused. Do you already have a Samba server installed (does it come as a part of Jaguar?)? If so, I can't help (I'm using 10.1.5).

If you don't have a Samba SERVER installed, then go to the link I gave you.

David

i believe that OSX only likes to share out home directories. you can share out additional volumes or directories via AFP by adding an entry to mounts, in NetInfo, but there is no easy way to add a new shared folder from any system preferences. i expect that samba, even if apple has integrated it into the OS by adding preference panes, and such, i doubt if they have changed it to make it consult NetInfo. so there will be no way in sharing preferences to add a SMB shared folder other than your default home directory, just as there is currently no way in preferences to make a shared folder via AFP; you have to do it manually.

so if there are no preferences don t let you specify an alternate share volume, then you should add it manually in smb.conf. see man pages for details.

Back