Sharing HP PSC2410 between Windows and iBook

vivekjois

Registered
I have an iBook (MacOSX 10.4.1). I have never had so many problems trying to hook up with a Network Printer connected to a Win 98 PC. I use a DLINK Router to connect all my machines either wirelessly and/or with an ethernet cable. All my Windows machines can print on the shared printer which used to be an HP Officejet 5110 until this week and now an HP PSC 2410 but my iBook refuses to print to it despite trying all different combinations of printing modes. I have tried smb://, lpd:// and ipp:// protocols with different results but the same end result - no print!! I wonder if anyone has encountered a similar problem using a Network Printer at the end of a Windows box via DLINK 604+ router. I have downloaded (with a lot of help from friendly soul on the networking forum on this site) and installed the very latest drivers for both printers. I have also tried to install the printer as a shared device on a WinXP machine and get the same results!! Can someone get me out of this misery before I dump by new iBook and go back to buying a Windows laptop?
:mad:

sharing a local printer from a pc is not a network printer and is renowned for being unreliable. You've got a hub/switch? As long as the printer will talk bothways best solution is to by a print server less than $100 AUD, give it an ip and everyone will print, not only this but your 98 machine can be used for something else, like the bin...just joking.

vivekjois said:
I have an iBook (MacOSX 10.4.1). I have never had so many problems trying to hook up with a Network Printer connected to a Win 98 PC. I use a DLINK Router to connect all my machines either wirelessly and/or with an ethernet cable. All my Windows machines can print on the shared printer which used to be an HP Officejet 5110 until this week and now an HP PSC 2410 but my iBook refuses to print to it despite trying all different combinations of printing modes. I have tried smb://, lpd:// and ipp:// protocols with different results but the same end result - no print!! I wonder if anyone has encountered a similar problem using a Network Printer at the end of a Windows box via DLINK 604+ router. I have downloaded (with a lot of help from friendly soul on the networking forum on this site) and installed the very latest drivers for both printers. I have also tried to install the printer as a shared device on a WinXP machine and get the same results!! Can someone get me out of this misery before I dump by new iBook and go back to buying a Windows laptop?
:mad:

Back