Sharing Internet

Johnny Blaze

Big Baby Jesus
I get the internet on my laptop through airport, which I then hook in an ethernet cable and share the internet with my desktop. It has always worked until now. The laptop internet will work until I hook in the ethernet cable, and then all internet stops working. It starts working again for the laptop when I pull out the ethernet. Even if internet sharing is turned off, it still will not work when an ethernet cable goes in. I had the cable modem hooked up directly to the computer for a little bit right before this happened because I was experiencing technical difficulty, could it have set something that I don't know about?

Thanks

Johnny,

I have the exact same Powerbook except mine is a 15" and it is wireless so it doesn't need to be hooked up to the desktop for the internet to work. It will work without the ethernet cable. Mine doesn't need an ethernet cable. I have a DSL modem and a router hooked up and then my iMac desktop and laptop run wirelessly.

S.

Yea, that's not really the problem though. I need the internet to work on both computers, it is working on the laptop when no cable is plugged in, but I still need the internet for the desktop.

Johnny,

Assuming you have a router and cable hooked up. I would unplug all that in the order according to your router instructions. Then hook up a ethernet cable from the router to the desktop. Also restart your desktop and see if that works. If you desktop is wireless then after you have done all that and got it working with the ethernet you should be able to disconnect the ethernet cable. That is how I get mine up when it goes down.

S.

Yea, that's not really the problem though. I need the internet to work on both computers, it is working on the laptop when no cable is plugged in, but I still need the internet for the desktop.

I hink your airport has no router available or its router function has been disabled. Otherwise you should be able to access internet from multiple computers (wired and/or wireless in any mix) at once. Now it appears that it can server only 1 system. Alternatively you have no dhcp server in your airport active (or both systems have the same ip-number, make sure they are dynamic to prevent this from happening).

Otherwise by a router and connect both the computer and airport to the router. Then it should work properly.

Gooc luck, Kees

Back