sharing my music folder with windows users

eklektic

Registered
Hi all -

I have my pb running os x and am sharing an internet connection with my 2 roommates who use windows. My question is: how can I give them access to my music folder (or to any specific folder for that matter?) I turned windows file sharing on and created a user for them but all I can do is grant them permission to use applications which is really of no interest to them since all I want is to share my music with them. I created an alias to my music folder inside my public folder, but I don't want to give them my user name or password so basically that's pointless, I thought that other users on my machine could access my public folder from their account but I guess that's wrong. Anyway, I hope you understand my question and can help me out. Thenks.

You just need to create a symbolic link... you can do that in the terminal, just type "ln -s [source file] [target file]" so if you wanted to create a link to your music folder in a users music folder (we'll call the user joe for now) you would type "ln -s ~/music /Users/joe/Music/music"

That would create a symbolic link to your music folder from his music folder. You have to enable permissions on your music folder to allow group (if joe is an admin) or everyone (if joe is NOT an admin) to at least read. (you can do that by cmd clicking on your music folder, and choosing get info)

All of this assumes you have write permissions to joe's music folder. If you do not, you will need to throw sudo in front of the ln -s command I gave you earlier. That would run the command as root, and allow you to create the link in his home directory. (it will ask for your password)

All of this also assumes you are an administrator.

OK...... maybe sharepoints is better. But if you feel geeky, this way will work to. :)

Remember that you can drag a file or folder to the Terminal to have it insert the path to that file/folder automatically. For example, you would type ls -s (with space) and drag the music folder you want to share into the Terminal, push space, and drag the target folder to the Terminal.

Just thought I'd save you a tedious step...

Back