Sharing over iBook's built-in modem?

Mikel

Registered
I've hooked up my old Windows98 to my iBook via ethernet cable and turned on the Windows sharing in OSX's prefs. Not great but I'm able to put precious files from here or there to here or there via ftp. Good.

iBook has but one "real" ethernet port (RJ11 I think) and when I connect to the Internet I use my cable modem. If, for some crazy reason, I want to use my Win98, can I connect to the Internet by it's modem connected to my Mac's built-in modem.

That grammar is confusing, but you get it eh?
P.S. I don't wanna blow $100 on a router.

Hmmm, might not be due to your grammar but my current brain-status, but I didn't really get it.
Let me explain some things that might help you out. You cannot hook up your powerbook to your cable modem using your built-in modem. You cannot use local networking over your built-in modem. Does this discriminate your hope? :)
However, if you have an airport card in your ibook and a wifi card in your pc-book, you could share the cable modem connection over the wireless connection. No need to have an access point even.
But if you don't have such hardware, I think you should go for a router. And $100 is way too much. I can get you one for even 40Euro ($50) including a wifi access point.

Back