Sharity -2.4b6.sit problems

feynman

Registered
I'm new to the mac and just got OS X up and running and would like to say I think i've been converted from wintel. That said I still have some win2k machines that I would like to access which I thought was a lost cause unless you are willing to pay top dollar. Browsing this message board, however, I learned of shariy... and had a nice warm feeling run over my body:). Then the story of my life unfolded... I can get it unpacked. I download the Sharity-2.4b6.sit and when Stuffit Expander trys to do its thing I get this message

" You have specified a flat destination for extracting a folder. The folder will be saved as individual files (without the folder structure). "

I then click on ok and then recieve the following message
"Sorry, but a disck related error (-5000) has prevented the operation from concluding."

I am logged in under the accounted I created under the install and pick the format with unix file something or something to that effect when I installed os x(this is my guess of what the problem might be). Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Originally posted by feynman
" You have specified a flat destination for extracting a folder. The folder will be saved as individual files (without the folder structure). "

I then click on ok and then recieve the following message
"Sorry, but a disck related error (-5000) has prevented the operation from concluding."

Strange. Before i say something. Let me ask these questions. Did you formatted the OSX disk to be UFS? Is the disk full? Are you sure you downloaded it correctly. Try again. These things might cause problems.

Now if that isn't it. Go to Applications/Utillities/Aladding/Stuffit Expander and open it. In the menu's look for Preferences and open them. Now in the left panel of the prefs. window scroll down and click on the icon destination. Now set destination to "ASK" Now if you let Sharity expand it will ask you where to drop the expanded stuff. Try to choose a different location.

I've gotten the thing to install and everything works just wonderfully but there's one minor problem. It doesn't see anything on my network. I know my network works because I've been able to FTP from my Win98 to my MacOSXPB. I'm sure I put in the right workgroup too. I don't understand it.

Can you acces the servers and files from the command-ine?
Mail me if you need more help.

hartman@mac.com

Actually, I haven't gotten it to do anything. Not even in the command line. I was thinking about installing Samba on my machine and seeing if Sharity could see itself, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

First, open the config of Sharity.
Go to CIFS General
Make sure the Domain has been filled in.

Go to CIFS Browsers
Check if the domain is correct here!

Go to Sharity mounts
Is there a mount here?
It should say
/Network/CIFS root cifsBrowse browser(or .default) MSR

Check back with me with your results

I must have looked the thing over a million times, and its all correct. Do you think it could be the machine I'm on? Or could it be the Windows computer's I'm connecting to?

Well, i'm kinda puzzled by this. No clue whatsoever on what is causing this. Have you tried reinstalling it?

Yeah, I even reinstalled OSX entirely and formatted the disk from UFS to HFS+. Still I cannot see anyone on my network.

Strange. First check if the Sharity deamon is running. Use the process viewer for that. And can you open the program Console and see if Sharity has left any errors there, and try booting with v pressed to see if you get any error on boot.

The sharity deamon is indeed running, and I still cannot see anyone. When I try to directly mount a share it comes up with an error that says "Netbios name lookup failure. Error Context: local machine."

Mac OS X Console
Nov 8 17:39:14 localhost lookupd[140]: LUServer: can't initialize agent

Nov 8 17:39:24 localhost WindowServer[45]: CGXSetWindowProperty: Operation on a window not owned by you

Nov 8 17:39:27 localhost WindowServer[45]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x4c03 for over 1.000000 seconds

Nov 8 17:39:57 localhost sharity[183]: [1] nbns: sendto(): [65] No route to host

This is what I get when I start up in the console.. I donno if it really means anything other than the last one which I think just means that it cant find a way there...although I have no clue of how to fix that....

Does your brother happen to have a firewall installed or something?
There is something wrong with either your network setup or your brothers. Dunno what. it is hard to pin down, from the other side of the world.

DJ ;-)

tell me how exactly you set your computer up for file sharing for windows step by step...maybe i didn't enter something that didn't have to do with sharity itself do you have to do with my network set up.

Originally posted by xrx
tell me how exactly you set your computer up for file sharing for windows step by step...

I'm away from my computer now. I'll get back on this after the weekend. Hang on.

DJ

Hey I got it working. I was just experimenting and I found out you had to set up your TCP/IP. It wasn't mentioned in the documentation so maybe someone should ask them to put it there for those who use PPP like I do who dont touch the TCP/IP system settings very much.

Back