Sharity issues

xJ3D

Registered
I'm wondering if anyone else has been trying out the new beta of Sharity for OS X... Seem to work and all, but shares that are larger than 1.99 gig will not show up, well, better said as the share is visible but when clicked on.. reports 0 items, meaning sharity knows the share is there but can not browse it... it will mount but mounts nothing in a since... I don't know if its me or what ;)

I have been thru two re-installs just to make sure... but only shares that are not very large work fine... I'm starting to think Sharity is limited to what it can browse and mount here ;(

Any other Sharity experimentors out there ?

Originally posted by xJ3D
Seem to work and all, but shares that are larger than 1.99 gig will not show up, well, better said as the share is visible but when clicked on.. reports 0 items, meaning sharity knows the share is there but can not browse it...

I have a 8G partition with thousands of Mp3's and it shows up just fine.
But there is an issue that might be the problem.
It seems that if there is a file or folder with a dot, Sharity tries to filter that out. But the Finder listing function crashes on that and simply stops listing files.

To confirm this, open a Terminal window.
now cd into /Network/CIFS etc. until you are in the share with the problem. Now type ls. Does it show anything now? If it does do the following, if it doesn't report your problem to Objective Development and maybe they will help make a debug log and they can figure out the problem.

Try the following. Open /usr/local/sharity/etc/sharity.cfg file in vi or something. Now walk through the file unitl you find lookupIgnorePatterns = (".*") change this into lookupIgnorePatterns = ();

Now you will need to reboot and maybe then it will work.

BTW. I do not agree with you on DAVE. It has always been a lousy product. Give me the Samba and Sharity combination over that anytime. Only function i miss is a direct browse function. But they already put that on the suggestions list ;)

DJ

[Edited by The DJ on 10-10-2000 at 04:57 PM]

Ahhh... Haaa.... Thanks... It was the "Dot" thing, those shares that I was having problems with, were shares that I mounted using DAVE under OS 9, and OS 9 places those files like .AppleDouble and so on.

I'm one who never had a problem with DAVE, but I'm also one who doesn't care what it is, as long as it lets me use my NT shares.... The one thing I do like better with using dave is, I simply mount the share that I want and it pops up on the desktop like any other network volume/share .... I'm going to have to get use to this Sharity method, if there is one... I didn't tell it to mount anything or tell it anything other than the workgroup and after that, opening a finder window, and every computer in that workgroup started showing up and I could just click away to them all, with the exception of what I first mentioned.... Do you actually mount anything like you traditionaly do under OS 9 ? either way, I'm getting to my files now... and again .. Thanks ;)

Originally posted by xJ3D
I'm going to have to get use to this Sharity method, if there is one... I didn't tell it to mount anything or tell it anything other than the workgroup and after that, opening a finder window, and every computer in that workgroup started showing up and I could just click away to them all, with the exception of what I first mentioned.... Do you actually mount anything like you traditionaly do under OS 9 ? either way, I'm getting to my files now... and again .. Thanks ;)

Good to see you got it working.

Hmm, yes you do, but it is more like a dynamic mount at a fixed location.

With Samba you can use smbmount, but that does not work on BSD systems. I have suggested such a feature to the makers of Sharity though and it is on there suggestions list.

Well, I tracked the exact file down that causes things not to display, if the hidden file named " icon| " is there, files will not display... it's not any of the other hidden folders and files that cause this... I thought it was at first, but just tried a few things and found it to be that file... the icon| file is placed there if you mount the share under OS 9 using DAVE, or if you have Services for macintosh loaded in NT and mount the drive....

I have a couple of systems that mount these shares that are not using X, so this will be a hassle to delete the file each time I need to view the share after another system has mounted that share... What would I add in the sharity.cfg file to ignore that file ?

Thanks,

i'm encountering this problem with the hidden icon file...

how can we ignore that file --- workaround it, etc?

if i could just navigate the network in proper fashion... i could ditch os9 at work!

i'm encountering this problem with the hidden icon file...

how can we ignore that file --- workaround it, etc?

if i could just navigate the network in proper fashion... i could ditch os9 at work!

Originally posted by rinse
would this be how you would do it?

lookupIgnorePatterns = ("icon_")

Indeed. You can add more names if you want.
lookupIgnorePatterns = ("icon_",".",".DStore","hallo")
Whatever you want.

Back