Should I buy a PB G4, or wait for the G5...

IceDogg25

MacAddict
Fellow Mac lovers,
I am torn at a tough choice..right now i have enough money to buy a new PowerBook G4 and that would fit all my needs. I currently am using a Quicksilver G4 Tower...It's working just fine but I want a laptop. Should i buy it now or save for the PowerBook G5 when it comes out (8 months)? I dont need a laptop that badly, but I don't want to buy a new laptop now, just to get replaced by a new super computer.

JS :confused:

Anything you buy now, or 8 months from now, will be replaced in less than a year anyway.

I would normally just throw down the money now for a laptop - but then why buy a computer if you really don't need it? If I were you and you truly don't need a new laptop to be productive and do what you do, why not wait for a cool new (water cooled) G5 powerbook?

No one knows. Rumors and hopes.
Which G4 book would you like to go for? The current 15' alubooks have some problems with bright spots on their screens. Maybe you should at least wait for the next update/upgrade of those. Bob is right. In 8 months there might be another replacement close too. On the other hand, if you don't need one right now, save some more money and finally get a really nice alubook when you really need one.

The current 15' alubooks have some problems with bright spots on their screens.

Apple is now fixing this problem on customers machines, and the new models have this fixed, according to MacFixIt.

bobw said:
The current 15' alubooks have some problems with bright spots on their screens.

Apple is now fixing this problem on customers machines, and the new models have this fixed, according to MacFixIt.

actually, I've got one of the first 17" PBs, and it's got a couple bright spots on it as well. I need to get it fixed. it's just enough to make me crazy(er).

It's a tough call, those new 15" aluBooks are awesome. but if you can wait, then hold out for a G5...course it could be a while. guess I'm not much help.

IceDogg25 said:
Fellow Mac lovers,
I am torn at a tough choice..right now i have enough money to buy a new PowerBook G4 and that would fit all my needs. I currently am using a Quicksilver G4 Tower...It's working just fine but I want a laptop. Should i buy it now or save for the PowerBook G5 when it comes out (8 months)? I dont need a laptop that badly, but I don't want to buy a new laptop now, just to get replaced by a new super computer.
Save your money, put more into it over time, and buy a Powerbook G5 when they come out. If you don't need a laptop and you don't want it to become outdated when the PB G5 is released, why would you get it now?

I agree. Just wait. You don't "need" a new laptop, and you already have a Quicksilver, so just wait for the PowerBook G5.

I always try to time my computer buying for a big architecture switch, so I never feel too behind.

I'm currently using my almost three year old PowerBook G4 at 500Mhz, and I'm going to wait for the first PowerBook G5s for my next computer.

Thanks a lot for all the replies....

but what does it mean if a laptop has liquid/water cooling? Is that a good thing or bad?

js

Better cooling, if that ever happens.

Hopefully, if they come out with something like this, it won't have to be connected to a garden hose :)

I thought there never was going to be a G5 PowerBook (or iBook), since they switched to Intel...

If you want a laptop, I would buy it now. First generation machines (which the Intel ones will be) do very often have some serious technical problems - I would never ever buy one. (Just look at all the problems Apple's been having with the iBooks - started with the G3, then even carried on - up to a certain extent - on the G4s!)

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

dates people, dates. this was back in 2003, when the G5 had just been released, and the general concensus was the G5 powerbooks were just around the corner.

how wrong we all were.

Lt Major Burns said:
dates people, dates. this was back in 2003, when the G5 had just been released, and the general concensus was the G5 powerbooks were just around the corner.

how wrong we all were.

ns, that's nuts! Really makes you realise how long we've been stuck with G4 powerbooks.

On the bright side, if IceDogg25 took our advice and kept saving while waiting for thr G5s to come out, he'd be up to about $50,000 by now!!

the G4 Powerbooks are still superior to nearly any laptop currently on sale.

there are faster processor for pc laptops, but no laptop that is actually better all round. it's still selling, and it's still winning awards, i hear.

I have a Powerbook 17" 1.5Ghz laptop myself, and while it's a great machine all-around, I'm not brainwashed by the "Mac fanboy" culture either. It's quickly being surpassed by offerings in the PC/Windows laptop world.

It's still selling because people want to run OS X, and want it on a portable machine. You don't have any other options for that besides what Apple gives you.

For starters, the series of "ultra bright" LCD displays available on many PC laptops are *far* superior in resolution and clarity to what Powerbooks offer. There's also the question of why Apple wasted so much horizontal space around the keyboard on the Powerbook 17". Sager and a few other PC laptop makers put full numeric keypads next to their keyboards on some of their models w/17" screens.

Another design complaint I have with Powerbooks is no easy access to the hard drive. If you want to upgrade or swap out a failed/failing hard drive, you have to tediously take the entire computer apart to get to it! Most Windows laptops provide an access door to the drive, or like Dell, may even design it to slide out of the side of the laptop in a mounting bracket.

Lt Major Burns said:
the G4 Powerbooks are still superior to nearly any laptop currently on sale.

there are faster processor for pc laptops, but no laptop that is actually better all round. it's still selling, and it's still winning awards, i hear.

Back