Should I buy Illustrator

annfi

Registered
I have a G3, 10.1.3, 128MB
I am taking a Graphic Design class at a local community
college and I think my teacher sold me today on purchasing Adobe
Illustrator. The only thing I currently have at home is Photoshop Elements.
I've worked on Quark at school but sure can't afford to buy it.
What version of Illustrator should I get and will it work ok on my MAC.
I am horrible at dealing with problems or bugs!
Thanks for your help.

Well Ill 10 is good, the educational version might be what you are looking for, although Adobe just releases the new CS design package.

The question isn't for us to answer, ask yourself do you need illustrator. And what will this use mainly be for, school or work.

Illustrator and Quark are completely different, and personally InDesign, which is much like Illustrator is WAY better than Quark.

Illustrator 10 can be found for as low as 50 dollars with an educational discount however Urbansensory is right, if it is an App that you are going to use a lot then go for it, if you are going to play with it for a week then gorget about it, maybe not. It is a great app thought IMO

I hope this helps you decide whether you need Illustrator or not:

• Adobe InDesign and QuarkXPress are page layout programs. They are used for created the layouts for all sorts of publications, including many of the magazines you read.
  • Adobe Illustrator is a vector illustration application, meaning you manipulate interconnected points to create an image. It is used, among many other things, to create cartoons and clip art.
  • Adobe Photoshop (any variety) is a raster image editor, meaning you modify existing images, for everything from touching up blemishes on a portrait to creating something like this. You can use Photoshop for illustration, but that's not its purpose and you'd probably have a hard time with it.

Back