Should I join the AirForce?

Just like to comment on one thing I caught a glipse of (since I have HW to do :p)

College is not meant to weed out people that cant make it. College, like other educational institutions, is meant to educate. If people cant learn a certain subject, then they cant. Different people are wired different ways and excell at different things.

For example I have a love for foreign languages. I can comprehen those concepts, rules, and what-nots. I have set forth a goal to learn another 15 some-odd languages. *if* I succeed kudos for me, that doesnt mean you, soapvox, or herve can do the same. Some people are artistic, or musically innept. That doesnt mean I can do it :p

As for comp 101, its not what you do in that class, but what you take from it. The ability to question your own writings, edit, be more thoughtful, thorough and so on. Same applies to all classes. You learn something you take with you.

Admiral

Soapvox, I hope you don't take this as a flame. I mean only to engage you in a discussion about some of your recent statements.

Many of your statements regarding the the US seem to be trying to put a sinister intent into actions by the US. This is giving the US government much more credit than it deserves. US foreign policy has always been far more reactionary than deliberate.

As a people, Americans don't generally think about the rest of the world. I don't believe this is either good or bad, or can actually be assigned any ethical intent on the part of this nation. It is simply the way it is. We care about our neighbor states because their well being effects us. This is actually not that different from European nation states, but they just consider it to be more than what it actually is. There are very few nations that register a need for our attention.

I take issue with your idea of "nation building". The US has never been an imperial power like England, France, or Spain once were. Quite the contrary, US policy would imply effort to maintain status quo. Why? So we don't have to pay attention to the rest of the world. We support current governments that don't share our political views because we don't want to take the time to "nation build", it is that painfully simple.

You brought up Iraq, no our embargo has not done anything near your assertions. The UN lets aid into Iraq. And I would point out that we as a nation are as responsible for the "killing 500,000 children in Iraq" as you personally are for the death of ANY child born to parents who could not provide for it's well being. Should we have taken out Saddom? Maybe. It would have required "nation building" on our part, and we would have had to put forces into Iraq to protect it from Iran (whom they had just finished having a war with). What were we willing to do? Help the people of Iraq take over and form a new government. Did that work? No. So here we are with status quo once again.

Your assigning of malice on the part of the US government is more justification of your own beliefs than a true reflection of reality. The US is not pro-active in foreign affairs, it is reactive. Time and time again the US has chosen status quo and apathy over "nation building". If another nation needs us (and we hear their cries over our yawns), we come running, but once the sense of emergency is gone, so is our interest.

I don't know which is worse, the powerful bully nation you seem to believe the US to be,
or the apathetic giant that only wants to worry about it's own affairs that it really is. Your view seem to imply more power, but the reality seems to imply more... clumsiness.

Oh, and kilowatt, have you thought about the Navy? It has a much broader range of opportunities than either the Air Force or the Army.

Back