Should I .Mac? Who wants to refer me?

TimF

Registered
Hi Mac jockeys,
I am considering whether to activate .Mac after my free trial. The sign-up form asks who referred me, it looks like that person can get "20% off their annual .Mac renewal cost."

So, in the next 24 hours, the thread-poster who gives me the best reason to pay $99 for a .Mac subscription will be my referrer. (This will be a totally subjective contest, so be creative.)

I must provide your full mac.com email address when I sign up for you to get the Referral Program discount.

Cheers,
Tim Foelker
tim@protechworks dot com
www.protechworks.com
---
1.33GHz Powerbook 17"
667Mhz TiBook
And a couple of CRT iMacs.

Because you know that you are worth it (the l'oreal voice.. :D) ... because you know you enjoy showing off your mac.com address to impress/bug the pc users around you .. because you want to have your safari bookmarks where ever you are, because you probably are tired to hit the "report spam" button in the mail applications .. (mac.com gets 95 % less spam than the otehr accounts I use) ... because .. you love macs and don't want steve to die of hunger ;)

zisa@mac.com

I use .mac for:
my email
my wife's email
my homepage (I have other homepages, but .mac is my main one)
to publish photos
to share my bookmarks between several macs
to access my address book from my PC
and now I play TheSims :)

can i refer you to not use .mac? (i believe the only thing that .mac is useful for is the free programs and those don't warrent $99 in cost)

Actually the included application in Mac OS X, Mail 1.3, does a good job of keeping spam out of my inbox.
I haven't tried .Mac for i am a broke college student.
But i can name some advantages:
a) iDisk for software updates
b) An easy way to edit your sites without purchasing alternate software: Dreamweaver, Adobe?, Freeway, BBEdit. (correct me if im wrong)
c) A great spam blocker
d) Support for iMovie films in which no site i've used supports. (see policy for other formats)
Actually most web hosts are not mac friendly.
e) write to people with an e-mail address that you can be proud of instead of hotmail.
f) your clothes will smell fresh also.

I just renewed last month, but it's more than worth it, imho. Just make sure you have a decent Internet speed, iDisk really needs broadband.

Let's see: A cool @mac.com e-mail address, virtually no spam, iDisk, Backup, Bookmarks (great when at work), free games, free versiontracker subscription, a nice gift for renewing, ability to host QT movies on your site, nice intergration with the Mail app, an easy site to use as a web page.

• US$20 Off Macromedia's Contribute 2 and Exclusive Web Page Designs
Offer good through Jan. 21
.Mac members get 13 .Mac-exclusive web page designs (a US$49 value) free, plus US$20 off the US$99 price of Contribute web publishing software. Create a full-featured site using the templates and Contribute, or use Contribute alone to edit existing web pages.

• Free VersionTracker Plus Subscription—US$24.95 value
Offer good through Nov. 25
Now it's easy to keep your software up-to-date. VersionTracker.com tracks more than 36,000 software products. The VersionTracker Plus subscription gives you customized tools so you can track the software you use and download updates.

• Free iBlog Blogging Software—US$19.95 value
Offer good through Nov. 25
Easy-to-use iBlog lets you publish weblogs of news, reviews, commentary, and journals on the Internet without worrying about formatting, archiving, or site maintenance. Add photos and movies from iLife, and publish your weblog right to .Mac.

• Exclusive Apple Training "Going Digital with iPhoto"—US$39.95 value
Apple's online training Going Digital with iPhoto shows you how to take great digital pictures, then organize, edit, and share them using iPhoto and your Mac. Plus create web pages, custom iCards, and more. Includes 56 QuickTime movies.

• Exclusive Apple Training "Going Digital with iTunes"—US$39.95 value
Apple's online training Going Digital with iTunes is available free with full .Mac membership. Practice steps, helpful tips, and 28 QuickTime movies show how to use iTunes 4 and your Mac, including adding an iPod to your digital music system and using the new iTunes Music Store.

• Exclusive Apple Training "Getting Started with Mac OS X v10.2"—US$30 value
Apple's award-winning online training for Mac OS X (Jaguar) is now available free as an exclusive benefit for .Mac members. The modular course covers Mac OS X applications, network and internet access, printing, and more. It also includes practice steps, helpful tips, and 90 QuickTime movies.

• Half Off VersionTracker Pro Subscription and Software—just US$24.95
.Mac power users can get half off the US$49.95 subscription to VersionTracker Pro, including a client for tracking and updating software on up to 10 computers.

• Discount on SmartDisk FireWire Drives—US$40 value
.Mac members save US$30 to US$40 on three of SmartDisk's most popular FireWire drives at the online Apple Store.

• US$10 off F10 Launch Studio from Chronos
One of the premier management utilities for Mac OS X, F10 Launch Studio gives you full control over all your applications and provides a lightning-fast way to launch applications and open documents.

• Free StickyBrain 2 from Chronos—US$40 value
Save time, increase productivity, and stay on top of all the information on your Mac with StickyBrain 2, the clever organization tool from Chronos. Store text, graphics, URLs and more as digital notes; then retrieve any note in seconds. Winner of a four-and-a-half-mouse rating from Macworld.

• Free Marble Blast from GarageGames—US$14.95 value
Players use creative power boosters like SuperBounce and Gyrocopter to race through an elevated course that includes moving platforms, slippery oil slicks, and whirling fans. Three levels of play, each with its own rich cartoon landscape, make this a great game for players of all ages and skill levels. Marble Blast gets an impressive 4-mice rating from MacWorld.

• Free Super GameHouse Solitaire Games
Kick back and explore six great solitaire games: Golf, Turbo, Klondike, Pyramid, Crescent, and Addiction—each with its own distinctive twist. Three different levels of difficulty will keep you progressively challenged. Start with the basic Golf game and work your way up to the ultra-challenging Addiction.

• US$5 Off Super Mah Jong from GameHouse
.Mac members get a special discount on this elegant solitaire game with a Mah Jong flavor. Includes three tile styles, twenty tile layouts, four music tracks, a reshuffle option, and a save-your-progress feature. Download the full-featured demo, then take advantage of the .Mac discount so you can keep playing the game.

• Free Deluxe Board Games—a US$20 value
Ready to play? Eight deluxe board games from Freeverse provide hours of entertainment. Download this special .Mac package that includes Chess, Checkers, 7th Fleet, 4 In A Row, Go, Mancala, Tic Tac Toe and Reversi. You can play any of them online against others and seven can be played on your own desktop against an artificial intelligence opponent.

• US$10 off 3D Hearts Deluxe and 3D Spades Deluxe
.Mac members enjoy a US$10 discount on each of these colorful card games from Freeverse. Download the shareware versions of Hearts and Spades, then upgrade to the deluxe versions to enjoy features including dozens of computer opponents. Select your skill level, music, setting, and partner. You can even create your own on-screen persona.

• Free DropStuff™ utility from Aladdin—US$30 value
No more struggling to email big files! Aladdin's DropStuff is the easy-to-use compression tool for email attachments. Drag and drop files or folders on to the DropStuff icon, and they're slimmed down and ready to mail. Send attachments quickly and avoid situations where mail with a large attachment "bounces back" to you.

• Half off StuffIt Deluxe® —just US$39.99
StuffIt Deluxe is the complete solution for compressing, opening, and sending files. Includes DropStuff, DropZip™, and DropTar™, the ability to search, browse and edit archives without unstuffing them, plus Secure Delete™, the digital document shredder. .Mac members get 50 percent off the full retail price of US$79.99.

• Free Super Nisqually game—US$20 value
Members received the new Mac OS X desktop version of Super Nisqually, one of the hottest games on the Web.

• $5 Discount on Super Collapse!
.Mac members received special pricing on Super Collapse!, one of the hottest games on the Web.

• 100 free Kodak prints—US$49 value
Just in time for the holidays, .Mac members received 100 free 4x6 Kodak prints through iPhoto.

• Free Alchemy Deluxe game—US$20 value
Alchemy Deluxe, a mindbending puzzle game optimized for Mac OS X, was a free gift to members. Our members received the full desktop version of this popular online game.

• $5 Discount on Bejeweled Deluxe
.Mac members received a discount on the brand-new Mac desktop version of Bejeweled Deluxe, named "Game of the Year" by Computer Gaming World. Discount available to members.

And that's just so far, there's another year of stuff to look forward to along with the other great benefits. Well worth the US$99 for anyone with a Mac, a desire to use the Internet (and you can bag your hotmail account). :)

[deleted]@mac.com

I canceled because I am actually just using the pop and smtp server and for that it's not worth to pay $99 (here even 99Euro!!! 17% more! Grrrr) and have a limited attachment size of 3,x mb...

All great responses, give and take. Just what I was looking for to help spread a little (balanced) .Mac cheer. The winner is Chevy! Chevy had a good direct response and appears to be making good use of .Mac features. Excellent picture galleries, Michel.

I will be activating my .Mac account shortly. For those with negative comments, rest assured, I agree with most of them. Especially cost. So, start referring folks and get yourself a 20% discount! Overall, I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Besides, jet fuel don't come cheap, what if Nemo get's lost again!
Thanks to all,
--
~Tim~

I would have thought Randman would be the winner. His post was five times as big as anyone's.

Hehe, Randman. I didn't mean this way. I guess I forgot to put a questionmark and a smiley in my post. ;)
Nevermind ::love::

Well, I find the e-mail service to be first rate, which is something I haven't found from many other places. smtp and imap support, it just works. It's also a cool short e-mail address. Although I have to say that e-mail really is one of the big reasons to use it, and the free software is kinda light for most of us. Therefore it is really imprtoant to cost effectiveness that you add more people to your .mac account at $10 each to bring the average cost of e-mail down to something reasonable. ;-)

Not that I can win this any more, but I did want to say that address book synching and safari bookmark synching friggin' rock. I have a palm pilot, and a home computer, and a work computer, and I often need to do something while I'm at a computer that isn't any of these. I can get to my bookmarks and address book from all of them, most of them very conveniently. Again, it's just well done.

As for the web stuff ... I used to do web dev for a living. Trying to do stuff for me so that I don't need to know html at this point only gets in my way. Kinda like clippy. "Yes, I am managing a list, now shut up and let me do so!"

Geez, you guys are overlooking this... refer each other! Insider trading at its finest! You scratch my back I'll scratch yours type of thing!

How come no one else thought of this?

yeah, I'd let you refer me if I wanted to change my e-mail addresses every year. It's the opposite of an upgrade discount, you pay more to keep an address than you do to get a new one. Kind of "get addicted" type of plan. I think they should give me $50 toward my existing .mac account for every new computer I purchase. It would move some machines, increase market share numbers by boosting sales, open up the resale market which currently stinks because everybody with a mac keeps it till it rots ... and that's usually 5 years or more.

Anyway, I think we can all agree here that .mac is well done but it's difficult to argue that it's worth the price, eh? Can we all also agree that .mac is a stupid and regrettable name that comes only as a jab to .net's stupid name? Speaking of stupid names, what's Jennifer Lopez calling herself now, and who's she married to?

Back