Should I take this iBook back?! ~help!

MacSub

Saiyan Member
I just got a new iBook, I have had it for one day. Unfortunetly I don't know if I can return it. Here's why:
I love the iBook and I would return it for another one.
The first problem, its a big one. My keyboard is warped! Ok, I don't know how many other keyboards are like this, but its driving me nuts!
The keys are firm in the lower end by space bar area, but are very spungie and raised toward the upper middle. I type fast and so this feels like when I type the upper-middle keys its like typing twice and I have often made errors.

So question 1. Is this a norm for the new iBooks? (I have an old iBook, and the keyboard is solid all the way through!) And if not should I make an attempt to take it back for a replacement?

2. I got the combo-drive, the dealer told me that it was a 8X write drive, well its not, its a 4X max drive with the combo drive, the 8X is for the cd-rw drive only. So, I also feel screwed. I don't think that its really worth an extra $300 for a 4X drive. I would have rather gotten the DVD iBook, and bought an external firewire drive 24X for a little over $300. or an 16X for a bit under. (I dont plan on burnning alot on the road, its just not worth it; 8X combo is what it should be, Apple!)

So, should I take this computer back for the reasons above?
Also, can I take it back?I am not satisfied with the combo-drive and by keyboard sucks. Other than that the computer itself rocks! The monitor is perfect and it is smooth in osX.

Did you order it from Apple or go to a retailer? You can always take it back and ask for a refund. Or call.

Maybe you should go in and see if there's an iBook on display -- and try out its keyboard. See if it feels any better. If it feels the same, odds are a new iBook won't help.

sounds good, I'll go down today and check out other ibooks, if they are different I will attempt to return it. I got it from an independent apple reseller so I hope they don't give me any problems.

I just noticed that you too have new hardware, how do you like it?
Does the monitor have any pixels missing?

I love my new Mac. The studio display is absolutely gorgeous - I'm so glad to have it. I have noticed only one dead pixel, but it hasn't really been a problem - I am rarely aware of it. Also, it only seems to be 'dead' in certain colors. Odd.

The only serious complaints I have about the whole system have to do with it 'waking up' in OSX. It may be a 'sleep' issue, or it may have to do with Seti@home, but occasionally it will wake up and either the keyboard (Apple) or mouse (Logitech Wheel Optical) will be unresponsive. It happened especially often when I had them connected to the USB ports on the display.

The other thing that is slightly bothersome is that the Superdrive doesn't like the CD-RW media I have. I used to have an Iomega ZIP CD drive that worked fine with these "Infodisk CD-RW" media I have -- but the Superdrive gives me an error any time I try to burn one. I have successfully burned CD-Rs and even DVD-Rs with it, though. Soon I'll pick up some better CDRWs and try them.

However, these are minor quibbles. The G4/867 is an incredible machine. OSX absolutely flies on it (can't wait to see 10.1!) I can play Elite Force at full screen, with maximum resolution and image quality, and the G4 doesn't even break a sweat. Four stars and then some!

Thats great, I feel equally about the new iBook's system (just not this keyboard). I does a great job in OS X, and there are no pixels missing. I have heard horror stories regarding the pixels in these lcd's so I was just wondering. I plan on devoting my older (graphite apple 17) ctr monitor to the iBook when at home, and replace it with a new 17 apple lcd for my G4. Should work fine, I have to buy an adapter to make it work, but thats ok. as long as it works.

Did you get a Zip with the G4? (if yes) How does it look with the new front bezal?

I didn't get the internal Zip drive -- I already had an external USB Zip drive that I am still using. So I can't help you there.

Cheers!

Im fairly certain that the keyboards in the iBook are replacable, rty taking it off when your machine is powered down to see. As for as the drive goes, you can do teo things, bring it to the shop and ask them to put a dvd drive in, and give you back the difference in price, or you can ask for a whole new one, though im not sure how that would work?:confused:

My new theory on cdburners is that im going to wait until somthing like a 50x is available for about $200. It just doesn't seem worth it to me now to buy a new burner, the specs are just going up too quickly.

take the keyboard off and put it back on.

lock it (use a tiny screwdriver in the center dot at the top of the keyboard)

mine shipped unlocked, which gave it, I think, what you're referring to here.

Oh, and as for replacable keyboards, yes, they are, but it's about 400 bucks and has to be done by apple USA or apple Canada, unless there's an apple tech in your area licensed to work with the new ibooks. There wasn't one in the chicago area (unless there's one now that they opened the new apple store) when I checked a couple of weeks ago for my ethernet card problem.

IF you can find no fix for your problem, you can get iBook keyboards from iBook specialty sites, they cannibalize parts from broken iBooks. I'm gussing a cost of about $20-35?

You have any links for those, Matrix?
My ethernet jack broke a while back.

Of course, that's a lot harder to replace than a keyboard.

JC

Hey, Thank you so much for the help! I'll do what I can!
I got my iBook on friday just before the store closed (for the weekend).
So, in the morning i'll atempt to return it, if he won't let me then i'll try to cut some sort of deal. (or live with it:( ).
Thanks again.

Macsub,

Your keyboard may just be improperly seated. Apple has instructions on how to remove the keyboard at
http://www.info.apple.com/installparts/.
If removing it and reseating it doesn't fix the problem, call Apple. The number should be in your inbox material. If it really is a defective keyboard, they will send you a replacement keyboard you can install yourself. All Macs come with one year warranty no matter where you bought it.

As for the specs on your combo drive, get over it. There's no other laptop on the market with a combo drive that will do what your asking. I suspect that within a year you'll be glad you have the DVD built-in. Hey, even the TiBooks don't even have the combo drive yet.

Vulcan

I did actually get to return it, we cut a deal and I am very happy with the results. I got a new iBook with DVD only an additional 256mbRam and with the additional $300 I got a 24x burner that can be used firewire bus powered for on the road if I need to. And the Keyboards great!

Glad to hear you were able to get what you wanted.

I'm curios to know what the store told you about the keyboard. Was it just not seated properly. They are a tight fit in the iBook. If you remove the keyboard, it is easy to get a poor fit at first.

Vulcan

Well, we checked out several different keyboards that day, we looked at the older iBooks which are very firm, we looked at the new powerbook keyboards which are also very firm;
The difference:
OLD IBOOK, metal casing on the underside of the keyboard that keeps it straight and strong.
New Powerbook, metal underside as well as good magnets placed at the top areas of the keyboard to keep it in place.
New iBook, plastic casing that acts flimsy with one magnet at the top that is too small to do anything.
And basically all the new iBooks are like that, something we did not know.
So, the solution also came as a suprise, in the upper center besides the NUM LOCK key, a light will come on when you press the (F6) Num Lock key, in that small space there is a small screw, take a straight end screwdirver and with the keyboard in place press firmly down with the screwdriver and turn, an extra holder will be released, and that is what keeps the keyboard down on the new iBooks.
I understand why Apple didn't have it screwed in from the factory, most people wouldn't notice it and would brake that small tab; but they should let us know about it.

Back