Should I update last weeks 7B85?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imagine

Registered
I installed 7B85 last week, and installed all of my music programs, ie: Logic, and many plugins, drivers, and various other programs. I don't want to clean install Panther, as it took over 3 days to install my programs.

My question is, should I do an upgrade anyways, and will that delete or damage what has already been installed?

Thanks
Dean

I would install the official version of Panther.

You can archive and install it, but I would probably backup everything (programs, files, music, photos etc, and user/Library files), and then install 10.3 on clean. It does take more time to do, but you'll machine will run smoother after.

Since you installed a beta version, I would backup and wipe the drive and install fresh.

Since 7B85 should be exactly is the same as the retail build, I don't see why you should do a complete wipe and install. I did a Archive & Install just in case, but I doubt that was necessary, either.

celeborn said:
Since 7B85 should be exactly is the same as the retail build, I don't see why you should do a complete wipe and install. I did a Archive & Install just in case, but I doubt that was necessary, either.
exactly...nothing should be different from 7B85 or the retail version you purchased last night. that would be pointless and a complete waste of time..

Maybe he should get the retail version simply because most of the people using the betas are using it as a "copy" version? If you have the right for the betas, fine, and you are happy with it .. keep your licenced beta then. I wouldn't.

Giaguara said:
Maybe he should get the retail version simply because most of the people using the betas are using it as a "copy" version? If you have the right for the betas, fine, and you are happy with it .. keep your licenced beta then. I wouldn't.

7B85 is not a beta. And 10.3 does not have any serial number or individual identification for each copy, so all 7B85s are identical. Gotcha :p

ksv said:
7B85 is not a beta. And 10.3 does not have any serial number or individual identification for each copy, so all 7B85s are identical. Gotcha :p

Panther does have a serial number, click twice on "Version 10.3" on the "About This Mac" screen to see it.

AlanBDahl said:
Panther does have a serial number, click twice on "Version 10.3" on the "About This Mac" screen to see it.

That's the serial of your computer :)

The OS does not have a serial number. It has a build number and that's about it. You should consider upgrading though. We don't know what Apple added/changed in the final store release. Although it's probably something small, you never know what you'll be missing out on. ;)

So in short: NO you do not HAVE to change. YES you should. :)

The build of the system hasn't changed, but there's no certainty that they didn't change other things like different apps that come with the system.

like they did with 10.2 6C115 and 6C115a - they only difference was an installation note stored away somewhere on your system. And yes, clicking twice on the about panel will give you your computer's serial, not an OS, thats why you don't have to type in a SN when installing any mac os.

btw, is it true that older computers cant display their serial number in the about window? look at my sig for details - mine doesn't show one, but it shows Version 10.3, and Build 7B85

http://spitty27.cjb.net/aboutthismac/About1.jpg
http://spitty27.cjb.net/aboutthismac/About2.jpg
http://spitty27.cjb.net/aboutthismac/About3.jpg

spitty27 said:
btw, is it true that older computers cant display their serial number in the about window? look at my sig for details - mine doesn't show one, but it shows Version 10.3, and Build 7B85
]

Yea, that's right.

ksv said:
Yea, that's right.
see, i always thought it was because i installed os x (i think 10.1) as an update [didn't know much back then!!] and not a full install. then i just "upgraded" to 10.2 retail. i learned after i formatted and instlled 10.3

hrmm thats weird apple should fix that. is it the same serial shown on the bottom of laptops/back of computers?

Hi folks,

Thanks for your suggestion. I think I'm going to leave for now, as it's not giving me any problems.

By the way, the "Similar Threads" below the "Quick Reply", is a wonderful idea.

Well, it is a Bata... and it is going to end working one day... expiration date?

If you want to feel better and secure... go on and do a clean install... it is for your mind and health... ;)

iscaro said:
Well, it is a Bata... and it is going to end working one day... expiration date?

If you want to feel better and secure... go on and do a clean install... it is for your mind and health... ;)
what part of 7B85 is GM don't you people understand?!

7B85 - no matter HOW you gout it, or WHEN you got it, is retail, gm, final version, blablbal whatever you want to call it. there is ABSOLUTELY no sense in reformatting and isntalling the retail boxed version of panther 7B85 if you had 7B85 2 weeks ago. it is the same thing down to the very last installation note. no difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back