Should I wait for new PowerBooks?

gphillipk

Registered
no,no,no I'm not waiting for the G5; just the new 15" PB G4. My prob is I'm in Namibia. The local Apple dealer tells me the new PB's might get to him by March. Personally, I think he's taking the worst case scenario coz in South Africa, they've already slashed prices of the old stock by about $200 across the range. Which tells me the new PB's are on the way. The real question is, should I buy the old 15" PB or draw on my reserves of patience and wait for the new 15" PB, i.e. is it worth the wait?

definitely wait for the new one. There are so many new features that are worth more than $200. Also consider the price-drop of the new books..

Yep, definitely wait. Unless you get a REALLY good deal on the old one (definitely more than 200$). It, of course, also depends on which model you'd get. If you don't need the SuperDrive, you can compare the new 'lowend' 15" with the old 'highend' model and compare _those_ prices, since the new lowend model has the illuminated keyboard. See? ;)

(I'm definitely into _external_ SuperDrives, since I don't need DVD-burning on the way and replacing an external FW SuperDrive is MUCH cheaper than an internal one (or buying a new PB altogether) after, say, 9 months. Also, the external ones usually come in faster speeds, too.

Wait. No point buying something that's already out of date, unless you get some spectacular deal.

Hi everybody. I ordered the new PowerBook on Monday; will reach me by end of Feb :D . I ordered the standard 15" with ComboDrive. Now, I'm getting depressed coz I can hardly wait to ditch this box running Windows Me...Thanks to everybody who gave me good reasons to wait. I got the best reason yet when I went to make the order and saw the cost price (and consequently amount of money outta my pocket) of the old one was higher that the new one.

gphillipk said:
Now, I'm getting depressed coz I can hardly wait to ditch this box running Windows Me...Thanks to everybody who gave me good reasons to wait.

Windows Me?!!! Do you still have hair left after pulling it out dealing with M.E.? :D

After recognising the simple fact I may NOT survive the wait, I've decided to install SuSe Linux 9.1 and Windows XP on the box. Sanity will prevail before long...till then, pray for me brethren...

Back