Should I wait

34skyline

Registered
I've been a window user for years and one day I stop by a Apple Store here in San Diego and I started to use the Mac O sx Tiger 10.4 for the first time and I love it, so right then and there I bought a Mac Mini Computer and that was 6 months ago, and know i'm ready to graduate to a PowerMac but don't know which one to get, sense apple are putting intels in there computers next year should I wait for that version of the powermac or just go ahead and purchase a powermac now. What's really the difference between a PowerPc and Intel's chip, is the intel better than the powerpc. I'm plan to buy a new apple computer soon and I want to ask "should I wait or go ahead and purchase one"?:rolleyes:

If you want / need a mac now, just get one now. :)
If you think there will be a new one in 6 or 12 months, there will be... but when you want or need one is when you want or need one.
Macs keep their value as well very well - so initial investment may be more but then you don't invest that more after the first mac - so need one now? Get one now.

What's really the difference between a PowerPc and Intel's chip, is the intel better than the powerpc.

While this has been debated to death, I will give you my short answer. Right now, at this moment in time, there really isn't that much to pick between them (aside from overzealous brand loyalty). But in the next few years there will be a lot of advantages for Apple choosing to switch to Intel, and in two years from now an Intel chip would be the obvious choice.

Unless you're a developer who needs an Intel machine though, there's not going to much point worrying about it at this point in time.

"should I wait or go ahead and purchase one"?

It depends how much you need it and how much you are willing to wait. If you don't mind waiting to new year, there'll be the Macworld conference in early January, where Apple typically launch a fair bit of new stuff. Even if they don't launch new PowerMacs (and chances are they won't), they will probably launch new software, likely to include new versions of iLife or iWork, and probably a few surprises too.
My recommendation is ... enjoy your Christmas break, tune in for the Macworld conference, and see what turns up. :)

Back