Should Java Be Set to "Allow Incoming Connections"?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
In Sys Pref under Security/Firewall/Advance tab in the box it says Java Pref and it's green and says "Allow incoming connections." Is this safe or does this mean that incoming connections (from hackers, snoopers, worms, etc.) will be allowed? Should I select "Block incoming connections" next to Java Pref?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! :)

In Sys Pref under Security/Firewall/Advance tab in the box it says Java Pref and it's green and says "Allow incoming connections." Is this safe or does this mean that incoming connections (from hackers, snoopers, worms, etc.) will be allowed? Should I select "Block incoming connections" next to Java Pref?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! :)

From what i can find using Google, on this post made on the Apple forms says NOT a good ideal to block it at all here is a quote from the thread on Apple.
That's it, don't deny it. It's just Java on your own Mac and it needs to scan certain ports on a regular basis.

Also, go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall. Unlock the lock and click on "Advanced" check to see if "Block all incoming connections" is unchecked and "Automatically allow signed software to accept incoming connections" is checked

On the list below, "JavaPreferences" should be there with "allow incoming connections".

Last edited:
That's it,
g.gif

What is? Doesn't mean much without explanation.

Can someone please tell me what just happened to this thread? LOL Did I miss something? It looks like someone replied to me but then they got banned, then someone else replied, but now that other reply has been deleted? I am hesitant to take advice for a banned member.

Could someone please help me? And don't get banned. :p

Back