Should the US go metric?

Should the US go metric?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by pds
the SAE standards hurt american products overseas and change is overdue.

Sad part is there's more metric stuuf on our 88 Chevy truck than here is on a 96 Toyota Camry. Go figure.

We should have went metric in 1990 when it was first suggested, and finally at the turn (thank Clinton for that one) to 2000.

Originally posted by mdnky
Sad part is there's more metric stuuf on our 88 Chevy truck than here is on a 96 Toyota Camry. Go figure.

We should have went metric in 1990 when it was first suggested, and finally at the turn (thank Clinton for that one) to 2000.

really!?!?

is the Camry on of those made in the USA Japanese cars?? Or the Chevy was one of those hybrids like the Ford/Mazdas??
Why would the Camry have SAE, seems that's the best time to change to metric, when you're building a whole new plant, wouldn't you say?

Originally posted by pds
really!?!?

is the Camry on of those made in the USA Japanese cars?? Or the Chevy was one of those hybrids like the Ford/Mazdas??
Why would the Camry have SAE, seems that's the best time to change to metric, when you're building a whole new plant, wouldn't you say?

Camry is made less than 60 minutes from where I live in Kentucky. Toyota's North American Division headquarters are located about 5 mins near the NKY International Airport (CVG).

I never did figure this one out...it a royal pain as not everything is SAE, some are metric. You never know what you'll need.

Hybrid? No, 1988 Fullsize truck

I had a Mazda Bus when I lived in Suriname and had to buy the parts at the Ford dealership because Mazda was the manufacturer of the Ford Courier, lock stock and barrel.

Royal PIA to have to deal with both systems in one car. But although the US should go metric, the inertia is just too great and it won't happen soon.

I live in Vancouver close to the USA border and we get really messed up. Half our telivision is american and we get a lot of US influence here. I use imperial for short measurements like feet and inches but km instead of miles. i use grams for light stuff. I weigh 192lbs but I have no idea how many KG I am. I am 6'2" but no idea how many cm i am. Temp is always in ºC but know farienhiet pretty good. I dont speak french but can this count for being bilingual?

UK is switching from "british" to metric, without too many problems. I may sound impossible for US, but this is possible, even for the old England.

I've owned metric tools since the mid-1960s, when I started working as a mechanic on VWs, and I can't believe the U.S. is still bucking the tide on this! It's so much easier than 1/2", 17/32", etc.

2003's iMac G4 1GHz 17", SuperDrive, 256 MB (to be increased for iPhoto) (bought in 2003 for 3000 CHF), used daily
1999's B&W G3 300MHz overclocked to 400, 448MB (bought in 1999 for 3000 CHF), used daily
1995's 7200 G1 90MHz, 32 MB, ATI-3D (bought in 1995 for 3000 CHF), used daily
1992's Mac LCII 68030 16 MHz, 4 MB, used daily
1986's Mac Plus 68000 8 MHz, 1 MB extended to 4 MB (bought in 1988 for 5000 CHF), used twice a week
1983's Apple IIe 6502 1 MHz, 48 kB extended to 64 kB (received in 1990), dead
1977's Apple II 6502 1 MHz, 48 kB extended to 64 kB (bought in 1983 for 5000 CHF), dead

your beautiful pedigree just reminded me that apple has been metric for the longest time,
for them 1024 =1000

lol
=^)

We may have already conceded to the logic of the metric system. Or, at least that is what I think; as I buy a two liter diet coke, while watching the guy in the expensive 1.5 liter engine Italian sports car try to score a gram from the guy smoking a 100mm cigarette, who is trying to lose a kilo, while the cop who is about to bust them both, sets a digital camera to focus at 20 meters (click -- in just a micro second) and cocks his 9 mm.

Originally posted by iGuy
..., while watching the guy in the expensive 1.5 liter engine Italian sports car ...

I'm not sure expensive Italian sports car have 1.5 liter motor. Unless it's an old Formula 1.

Back