Show/hide the Finder menubar

willmac

Registered
Hia, anyone know of a way of showing/hiding the menubar in the Finder?

Back in the Classic Mac OS days there was a small freeware app that did this.

Cheers

will

Do you mean the actual menubar at the very top of the screen, which typically contains the menu extras, apple menu and File, Edit, View menus?

Out of curiosity, why would you want to hide that?

To enjoy your desktop picture in full splendor!

Seriously, there have been time when I wanted to hide my dock and menubar, and just make the screen my desktop picture. I suppose it appeals to neat-freaks.

I think this might be difficult to impliment, because, as you can see, if you force-quit an app, it's menubar will just go away, until you switch apps. It's like each app has it's own menubar.

But, hey, if someone finds a way, please share...

assuming you only want to do this when your NOT working on your machine, a quick work around would be to use your desktop picture as a stand-alone screen saver. When activated it would give the illusion that the menu bar has been removed... This is just a work around, not really the answer to your question, for that I apologize.

Thanks for the tips. The reason I wanted to hide the menubar was to get around the problem of Apple's X11 (when using wondow managers other than Aqua-wm) placing windows under the menubar. Very annoying - especially in some wondow managers that do not allow you to grab the window in places other than the window titlebar. I like Aqua-wm a lot but I also like variety.

Will

Back