Sick of PCs stupidity

whitesaint

cocoa love
What is it with everyone using .avi files for movie format of choice? mp4 is surely a better bet and im sure people could really use the streaming capabilities here. It sucks because the DivX movies all over the illegal software can't be converted to .mov/.mp4/.mpg! And these are the only formats you can do useful stuff with ie burn DVDs/stream/live streaming/video effects on OS X. What format do you need to burn DVDs on a PC? (its .mov here)

If people only knew how much OS X and Steve Jobs' genius made everything soo much better...instead of all other businesses focusing on money, Steve Jobs is the only one doing whats right..

The only software i know that could read .avi is VLC. However, the user interface is awful.

The gripe I have with .avi files is they usually come in bits and pieces. Sort of like the old installers for Mac OS 7.5

Last DiVx movie I saw was burned as a video cd. The quality is not top notch either but you get what you don't pay for.
Probably why you don't see that many DVD-R burners on people's pc's.

There is also a divx plug-in for Quicktime out. I couldn't get the sound to work though.

why don't pc software vendors just make their games for mac :)
i agree with you whitesaint, but pc's seem to be off in their own world and to me it doesnt seem that they are in their right judgement using windows, as i completely can't stand the blasted os. but they have all the right to use windows, and make games for windows, and use some confusing ass .avi divx codec over mp4

Ape, if you play divx in QuickTime you usually have to convert the files first to get the sound to work.

Windows MP also works with .avi files, even if it is M$'s answer to QT.

The reason they all use .avi is because DivX is just a hacked MPEG4 codec, and it uses AVI files as a sort of "wrapper". On a mac you have to use DivX Doctor to convert the sound in an avi Divx. Im not sure if this is necessary when using VLC. On a side note, VLC has a much improved interface recently.

i'd take the mp4 over avi too, but i find with VLC player that it can play pretty much any avi. or divx, and most of the time it will play back great, vlc could use alot of improvment, but is still good!!

Originally posted by liquidg3
mplayer can play EVERYTHING except Real Media.
That's what Real Player (or Real One) is for.

Don't flame me, but I actually prefer WinAMP over Real Whatever (even if QT is my first choice). Probably because of the interface, but I also think Real is totally crap, and WinAMP is just partially crap.

i have been using mplayer for all my video needs. it plays wma's as well. for some reason, i have a bunch of those lying around. the only problem i have with mplayer, is the atual video window. with quicktime, i can resize the window without distorting the picture, whereas, mplayer does. when i say distort, i mean it screws with the aspect ratio, not the quality.

Well, in Quicktime Player, you can hold the Option key and the aspect ratio will lock in; you can't do that with Mplayer?

Back