Siemens SE567 + new Macbook = crash

vbertola

Registered
Hello,

I am a relatively technical Mac user, but I have run into a baffling problem and I was wondering if anyone could come up with some bright idea.

I have a home network made by a DSL modem/router/wifi - a Siemens SE567 - plus several PCs (1 Linux connected via Ethernet, 1 Windows via Wi-Fi, and my old iBook G4 with OSX 10.4) and an Airport Express used in client mode to relay iTunes audio.

Recently I added a brand new 13" Macbook, OSX 10.5, and here's the problem: almost always, as soon as I connect it to the network, either via wifi or via Ethernet, the router crashes. It starts to lose the DSL connection, then it brings the WiFi down, it struggles to bring them up again, then usually it resets itself on its own - I see all lights turning on and then off at the same time -, boots up again, tries to bring the DSL and WiFi up, sometimes it succeeds, but after a minute or so it resets itself again. If I disconnect the Macbook from the network, and perhaps turn off and on the router manually to hard-reset it, things start to work again. I have tried turning off everything else, but even the Macbook alone won't work - sometimes it does for a few minutes, but then the router crashes again.

I have never seen anything like this, and it might be some kind of bug in the router's firmware, but I was wondering whether anyone else ever reported similar issues with Macbooks, or with OSX 10.5; and whether someone can have a brilliant idea about what could be the source of the problems, ie what kind of activity the Macbook could be doing to disrupt the router's life. For example, I thought about turning off IPv6 in the Macbook, but that didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Back