Sierra: Multiple Pop-ups. Addressbooksourcesync ~ Keychain

mister_2

Registered
For me, this has only started since upgrading to macOS Sierra.

It has manifested itself on my late 2015 MBP and my late 2011 27" iMac (both are running the latest OS)

Whenever I wake the MBP from sleep, within about a minute a pop up presents itself directly in the middle of the screen (interrupting whatever I may be typing - like the password field becomes dominant and whatever text I was typing is now being entered into the password field). in fact, there seems to be 4, yep, 4 exactly the same pop ups, stacked on top of each other, waiting for me to enter my login password. This is super annoying.

If I cancel them out, they just pop back up in a few seconds.

Then if I open Safari, I get a new pop up but it says Safari wants to access to the keychain.

I have NOT changed either my Apple ID password nor my Login password before, during or after this upgrade.
I found this support from Apple... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609 I followed the steps....changed password, rebooted, changed password back to original, rebooted.....no success.

It seems most people are having this problem after they have changed their Login password. I never did that, so their conditions are different than mine, so their troubleshooting procedures would also be different.

I'm now going to try this... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6153593?tstart=0

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Mike

Attachments

• ABSS Pop up.png
    ABSS Pop up.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 6
It appears you have everything to sync with each other - including Keychain Access.

Go to Applications>Utilities and open Keychain Access.
At the very top left of the screen in the title bar is a pad lock.
Clicking on it will lock/unlock it. You want it unlocked. You will be asked for your password to change it.

Now - with it unlocked - the apps that need to access those passwords will be able to without you continuously giving permission and typing in your password.

Obviously, when you keep it locked, it is a good security measure - especially if you use the free wifi hot spots. You then will either decide to allow apps like Safari to access it and type in your password, or don’t allow it and type in your password for various sites manually.

It appears you have everything to sync with each other - including Keychain Access.

Go to Applications>Utilities and open Keychain Access.
At the very top left of the screen in the title bar is a pad lock.
Clicking on it will lock/unlock it. You want it unlocked. You will be asked for your password to change it.

Now - with it unlocked - the apps that need to access those passwords will be able to without you continuously giving permission and typing in your password.

Obviously, when you keep it locked, it is a good security measure - especially if you use the free wifi hot spots. You then will either decide to allow apps like Safari to access it and type in your password, or don’t allow it and type in your password for various sites manually.

Thanks for the help Cheryl. I checked and it is unlocked. I've never locked it (and I only use my phone to hot spot in sketchy places...thanks for the heads up)

When I went to open the link from mail to this thread, a Safari pop up appeared, so I'm thinking it was trying to access Keychain to see if I had already logged into the macosx site and was looking to retrieve my login credentials.

I made no changes before the Sierra upgrade nor after it, so I believe that some how, my keychain was either already corrupted or my install didn't take. I have been searching all over the net and it doesn't't seem to be a big issue with too many folks.

Thanks again for trying.

Attachments

• 2015_MBP_CAP 2016-10-23 at 19.03.55.png
    2015_MBP_CAP 2016-10-23 at 19.03.55.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2015_MBP_CAP 2016-10-23 at 19.05.17.png
    2015_MBP_CAP 2016-10-23 at 19.05.17.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 2
Safari has its own section for saved passwords, so I am not sure why it is looking at iCloud or keychain access. The only time Safari or any app would ask for a log in is when you click on the log in button on the site or app.

Makes me wonder what third party apps/programs you have installed. A Password Keeper?

Do you have File Vault turned on? (System preferences>Security & Privacy)

Try this:
Go to Home>Library>Preferences
Locate the three files that start with come.apple.keychain
Trash them. - No need to worry about your saved passwords. Those are safe in a different folder.

restart the computer then empty the trash.

Back