Silent iBook update

drustar, I assume that you thought I was meaning that the hack would increase the iBook's internal moniter screen resolution?
Well, first of all, that would make things look really bad. :) LCD's have a native resolution, and they are not supposed to go above this.
What I actually meant with that screen resolution is that if you hack your firmware to enable extended desktop on the iBook, then the external monitor will support that resolution (at least on my computer).

Nope. The 14" are 1024*768. Things are only bigger, not more on that display.

14.1 displays have more than 1024x768 resolution?

No.

On a diff note...

I bought an iBook yesterday. I chose the 12" Combo Drive. I was debating whether to get RAM from the Apple Store or order some online (crucial.com, ramjet.com). The difference in price would have been about 50 bucks; Apple sells ram more expensively.

In the end I decided to remove a 256MB stick from my old 700mhz iBook, and put it into the new iBook. So now I have a 900mhz iBook with 384MB ram. As soon as I get the old iBook fixed, I'm gonna order 512MB to place in the new iBook, and put the 256MB back in the old one.

I'm sure there are others here with a 700mhz iBook, thinking of getting a new iBook... sell the old iBook but keep the ram.

siggman (and anyone else who is interested): here is Google's cache of the page with iBook extended desktop instructions: (the real site it down right now) www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]Web site[/URL].
Make sure you read the instructions all the way through before you do anything. Also, the firmware commands must be entered exactly as they appear. I entered them wrong, and although nothing bad happened, the hack didn't work, and it took me awhile a figure out what was wrong.
Also, do not try this hack if your computer has a Rage chip, it only works with the Radeons in the newer iBooks and the _17_ inch iMac.

Good luck!

Does anyone think that the iBooks will be redesigned, say around August? Say Apple chooses to release 970 Macs this summer, would they keep 3 different processors ... 970, G4, and the G3?

They could, but I doubt it. With IBM moving to the top spot, Apple will gradually phase out Motorola, until we will have G4s on portables and G6s on desktops (like it has happened with G3s and G4s)... then Motorola will make the NEXT BIG CHIP and it will move back to the desktop and so on and on and on...

I really don't see Motorola back in the desktop computer processor business. Their focus is on mobile and embedded computing, which makes them a good provider for notebook processors.

IBM will take the place for now. Maybe Motorola will be used for G4s in notebooks while the desktops go IBM PPC 970.

The iBooks will either stay G3 (IBM has better G3s in petto) or move to the G4. But rather in October than in August...

drustar:

No, the 14" displays have a native res. of 1024x768. Dlloyd is talking about unsupported firmware hacks. Potentially dangerous, I guess. . .

Doug

Originally posted by dktrickey
drustar:

No, the 14" displays have a native res. of 1024x768. Dlloyd is talking about unsupported firmware hacks. Potentially dangerous, I guess. . .

Doug

Yea, some actually had their iBooks killed. I never heard if those people ever got them working again, but it shouldn't actually be harder than removing the battery and disconnecting power for a day. Off topic :p

Originally posted by Jason
it would be nice to have 1280x1024 res outputted to a monitor... oh well

The graphics chips are capable of running dual displays with 1600x1200 or even more on the second display, so this is just a limitation Apple sets to make people buy more expensive models. And it seems to work as Apple has done similar things since Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Errm, it's just how capitalism works :confused:

dktricky, the only people whose iBooks died were people with Rage graphics chips. As long as your iBook has a Radeon, you are fine.

Back