Silicon Graphics Peripherals?

utn

Registered
I'm wondering if there is any way to get some old silicon graphics stuff I have laying around to work on my Powerbook, or even any of my computers : P .
What I have laying around is a monitor, keyboard and mouse from a SGI Personal Iris from many years ago. The monitor is massive, something like a ~21-22 inch display and the keyboard is just very robust and I wish to use it again. I don't care much for the optical mouse that accompanied the keyboard, seeing as how it requires the use of a special reflective metal mouse pad with a grid printed on it. The monitor has 5 BNC out connectors I believe. Red, Green, Blue, White, Black. I have a cable that has 4 connections, RGB and a white colored cable that goes into a VGA connector, but never seems to work on any computer for some reason. The keyboard connector looks just like a typical serial plug you would find on a Windows PC. I have a serial to USB adapter that I use for my Palm Pilot, but when I try to hook up the keyboard through this, I get nothing. The monitor keyboard and mouse look just like this.. probably doesn't help much tho. http://www.pattosoft.com.au/jason/Articles/HistoryOfComputers/PersonalIRIS.jpg

If someone could help me out I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Scott

Although the Personal Iris keyboard and mouse has a PS2-like connector, they are not compatible with PC/Macs.

You can get adaptors for the monitor, but they are expensive and really aren't worth it. The picture quality wouldn't be great compared to todays standards so you are better picking up a cheap Dell 20" CRT or something which would have a much better picture.

If you don't have a Personal Iris any more, it's worth ebaying the keyboard and mouse because they are sought-after by people into old SGI stuff.

Oh well, I guess I could use the free space, that monitor is a monster : P.
Thanks for the info.

Back