Silk: Quartz anti-aliasing in ALL Carbon apps.

celeborn

Usability & WordPress fan
Check out Silk from Unsanity:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15012&db=macosx

Product Description: Silk enables the Quartz text rendering and smoothing introduced in Mac OS X 10.1.5 in all Carbon applications. This means antialiased text in Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla, and many others. Why wait for developers to update their Carbon applications when you can get the silky smooth text everywhere, right now? And of course, Silk is completely free!

Features:

* Enables the Quartz text rendering in all running Carbon applications, such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla and many others.
* Exclude list feature allows you to exclude certain applications so they work as before, if the antialiased text there looks bad.
* Convenient drop button in the Silk preference pane to quickly detect if a particular application is Carbon or not.
* Implemented as an easy-to-use preference pane.

NOTE: this haxie requires Mac OS X 10.1.5.

I tried it, and it works great!

Wow, now thats somthin you don't see everyday. It doesn't take slower to load pages either. Good application in my opinion.

Whoa, sweeet! AHHH I wish I was home right now. On a freakin EMachine Celeron with Windows ME!

I *SO* want to try that.

Using this EMachine reminds me why I'm a mac user :D

Originally posted by dricci
Whoa, sweeet! AHHH I wish I was home right now. On a freakin EMachine Celeron with Windows ME!

I *SO* want to try that.

Using this EMachine reminds me why I'm a mac user :D

i feel your pain :)

im at work too on a p4 1.7 win2k in the lab and i want to go
home and d'l this!!!

damn it!!!

I feel like Jodie Foster in Contact when she is descending to the beach to see her father again and she says really slowly, "So........beautiful..." This text looks amazing. I love my Mac. On a completley unrelated note, I got my replacement iPod today. I sent it in for repair not a week ago. I guess it was decided it was unrepairable, so they sent me a brand spanking new one. Sweet. I love Apple. I love Apple developers. I love Apple users at this great Apple community. There is so much love to give, I want to give all of you some love. Oh, I'm sorry. It's not every day you're iPod gets replaced free of charge.

Just tried Silk on my LCD iMac and the AA in IE is a bit naff:( Has a lot to do with anti-aliasing on an LCD screen in general, but still doesn't watch the superior AA quality of Omniweb/Chimera. Other apps seem okay though.;)

Silk is awesome! I don't mind that it doesn't get it as good as OW or Chimera since something is better than nothing in Moz :)

OMG!!!!

this is so freakin aweome!!!!! i never knew IE could look so good. I couldnt wait
to come home to D'l it... Now why couldnt this be made available earlier? ;)

By far one of the best programs I got on this computer (besides windowshade X)

BBEdit doesn't seem to work properly with Silk. Text seems to get gradually blotchy as you write along - looks just like ink spreading on soft paper. Check out this screenshot:

Attachments

• bbedit.jpg
    bbedit.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 64
Originally posted by celeborn
BBEdit doesn't seem to work properly with Silk. Text seems to get gradually blotchy as you write along - looks just like ink spreading on soft paper. Check out this screenshot:

that happened to me too... somehow, though, i think i would turn off AA in BBedit anyway. AA + code doesn't seem very techy to me. :p

who HATES anti-aliasing text in my web browser? words just look so bad once they get down to below 11 points. my crisp rules, nice clean text just gets dirty looking and harder to read. please ie, never make anti-aliasing text a default on the browser.

Whoa, have you tried using Mozilla without anti-aliasing? It looks downright nasty. I couldn't stand to use Mozilla before getting Silk. Unbearably ugly (and it gets even worse in Linux--d'oh!).

Originally posted by jaybeekay
who HATES anti-aliasing text in my web browser? words just look so bad once they get down to below 11 points. my crisp rules, nice clean text just gets dirty looking and harder to read. please ie, never make anti-aliasing text a default on the browser.

Sorry man... SILK kicks butt even with small text in a web browser. Unsanity rules. All of their apps are worth the download (500k? cmon!) But I think the best is FruitMenu. No more writing applescripts to put in the menu bar ! Oh wait! windowshade is great too. damn dock can die for all i care.

Silk is okay, but I've disabled it. Too many apps have trouble with it, so my exceptions list would be quite long. I'd rather have the developers update their applications, finally.

After using Slik, Mozilla 1.0 (latest builds) becomes my primary browser instead of OmniWeb! It is really cool hack!!

Back