Silk, the newest Unsanity miracle

hew

Registered
I know this is in other threads and what not, but I thought I would make one focused only on Silk, Unsanity's new haxie. If you don't know what Silk is, it turns on anti-aliasing for carbon apps without having to wait for the developer to rewrite the app. Yep, that's right, anti-aliasing in IE, Appleworks, etc.. For those of you who want it go here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15012&db=macosx

<spock> Fascinating.
spock-smiley.gif
</spock>

Forgive me, I don't have a Mac (for the summer). Would someone mind posting some screenshots of like ... AppleWorks with silk, IE with silk, etc?

It would make me happy! :p

Even tho that seems to make text prettier/smoother... it also makes it hard for me to read it - does that mean I need glasses? (not making fun - I really think I do! Ack!) :(

Wow! Unsanity has been busy since I bought stuff from them! :)

Hey sithious, where'd you get that CPU monitor from (at least - I think it's a CPU monitor), is that from Unsanity or elsewhere?
(Would like to see what the other stuff looks like before I download)

Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
Yeah that CPU monitor is sweet man...err i think its a monitor??:confused: :confused:

hmmm... if you're referrring to the yellow/blue strip in the menubar, that's ppp monitor, which monitors your modem or ethernet port and shows incoming and outgoing data ... :)
got that from versiontracker ... : )

Originally posted by sithious

hmmm... if you're referrring to the yellow/blue strip in the menubar, that's ppp monitor, which monitors your modem or ethernet port and shows incoming and outgoing data ... :)
got that from versiontracker ... : )

Doh!
I need a CPU monitor that looks like that! All I got is PTCHCPUMonitor and only shows me what's happening "live", no history. :(

Can anyone come with a convincing explanation of why we need Silk at all? Surely if a freeware creator (admitedly very gifted) managed to get that hack running in like a day after the release of 10.1.5, Apple could have integrated it from the start?? :confused:

I'm lovin this thing! And the best part is that it's a pref pane and is easy to customize...:D

...It also doesn't hurt that it's free :cool:

Originally posted by Kinniken
Can anyone come with a convincing explanation of why we need Silk at all? Surely if a freeware creator (admitedly very gifted) managed to get that hack running in like a day after the release of 10.1.5, Apple could have integrated it from the start?? :confused:

The convincing explanation is that developers had access to 10.1.5 for months now, not for one day only.

yeah - there was no point in the developer releasing the app until 10.1.5 was released because it is a dependancy.

R.

True, insanity has probably been working on it for some time. Still, it should be included in the update! I can't see why Apple didnt do it...

I can see why Apple didn't include it with the update... Some apps aren't designed to be antialiased so they will provide a poor result in some cases (AIM, BBEdit, ...) so they really wanted to wait for developers to release an update patch that makes everything look right.

And to answer someone elses question, yes, small antialiased text in some cases will look bad. Your option is to blacklist the app from using it for now until the developer (in this case, Microshaft) can release an update that makes stuff look right... But it still may not be perfect. In the end it's all a matter of personal preference.

Back