Sim City 4 problems

macmastah

Registered
Hi,

I am running 10.3.3, with a Geforce 4 64mb (i think it is mx 420) video card on a G4 1ghz. When I run Sim City 4 (it worked on my G4 system when it had 10.2), my screen goes blank and the light on the monitor flashes. I have tried different monitors on the system, and have discovered it isnt a problem with the display. It seems to be a problem with the video card and compatible drivers (i assume that under 10.3 the drivers need to be updated), but do not know where to update them. Where can i get newer drivers and fix this problem?

Thanks Alot

Good call, Cheryl. The earlier simcity update (1.0.1) fixes some issues with custom screen resolutions, where the screen GOES BLACK, and the 1.0.2 update will include that fix, and some others as well. The update says you can hold the option key during startup of SimCity to allow selection of other custom display settings, like defaults.

The update hasn't worked for me – colours have gone crazy (lime green menus, anyone?) and it's unplayable. It was unplayable before, as it freezes after half an hour or so since Panther (was OK in Jag.), but I got quite excited that the update might be going to fix it.

Maybe you're having problems with a corrupted preference file. You might want to locate and delete any preference files that SimCity creates, so you will revert to original defaults for the software.

If you try that, remember that Sim City doesn't put prefs in the usual place – it creates a folder in username/documents, so just dump the whole folder, trash the game folder and reinstall. Didn't work for me but it might for you. It was fine right up to the latest Panther update – I didn't even have any of the other problems people have complained about. Civ III freezes after a while, too, and that was OK before the software update, so something's up although what escapes me, as I've tried everything. <light bulb goes on over head> Except a different user account ... I'm out of here.

Back