SimCity 4

actingbiz1

Registered
Ok, my friend lent me his copy of SimCity 4 for for me to test on my brand spanking new 17" Powerbook G4. Specs:
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700:
Chipset Model: ATY,RV360M11
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Now, when I play the game, with Day Only orr Night Only, it works relitively fine. Sometimes when I move the control panel gets frozen and shown across the screen.... (Description... On a windows machine when a program freezes, and you move the window and it looks like it multipies across the screen, it does that. I forget the technical term for it)
Now when I have it set to change between Day and Night autmatically it is painfully slow and its glitchy and it does what is described above more frequently.
This is a powerful machine, If it can run Motion, LiveType and Final Cut at the same time and abrely break a sweat, why does it struggle witth this game? I have more than enough ram, and its the fastest processer speed for a powerbook. It more than qualifies to play this game.

Because the port is ass. I used to have it installed on my G4/800 and it ran ok, if a bit slow. I just installed it on my new G5 and the resolution was a bit funny so I installed the newsest patch which completely broke the game. Trying to reinstall just now with the old version. Had a quick search and most people seem to have problems; even if you don't get the major video glitches I think it seems to be a pretty poor port in general.

Back