Similarities between Longhorn and Tiger

mbveau

Registered
Looks like Microsoft is at it again. Check out this article from Cnet.com. There seem to be some odd similarities between Tiger and Microsoft's new OS, Longhorn. I wonder who copied off who? Especially when you take into consideration the fact that Microsoft is just now integrating elements that OSX has had since version 1. Hmm...

BTW, if my understanding is right there is a major flaw in this article. The file searching capability is made possible only with WinFS - a feature that MS had hoped to include in Longhorn, but has stripped out.

As far as I'm concerned WinFS won't come until 2007 or 2008. Maybe it never comes, who knows... Anyway, I think it's Microsoft who's the copycat as the Mac OS system is, as I see it, about 10-15 years ahead of Windows.

Since the annoucement of Longhorn two important things have happened:
1) the original list of features was significantly reduced
2) the delivery date ahs been significantly pushed back

This means that M$ annouced a pie-in-the-sky that turned a lot of heads and later, quietly, retracted the most important features. Good marketing, bad product.

Tiger is shipping this week, Longhorn at the end of 2006, perhaps. Tiger implements most of the "revolutionary" annouced improvements in Longhorn right here and now. So either the Apple developers can copy Longhorn before Windows developers can code it at all or Apple has been working on this for much longer than M$.

I'll be picking up Tiger this friday, don't hold your breath for Longhorn.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_task-based_ui.asp

i found this, it is quite an interesting read. shows it from another perspective. macos looks better, but with windows, they're trying to rethink what it is we use a computer for. macos is very app based (i want to put a photo as the desktop - *open iphoto*, find the photo, click desktop) whereas windows is trying to be task based (right click on the photo, set as desktop background)

interesting read, and shows the logic behind windows, even if it doesn't explain why they are forward thinking before theyve actually got a stable os to start with. running before they can walk....

except. they've missed the point a bit. you still have to find the photo. what better way than with iphoto?

in longhorn they'll be smart folders for photo's. so you open a folder, not an entire application, and it'll act almost exactly like iPhoto. all your photos in a thumbnail view, then double click to view full size, everything else under a right-click context menu. iPhoto is such a memory hog. i like that idea. it would just be nice if they built it on something solid to start with.

I think before that Windows is out, there maybe is iPhoto '06 (with iLife '06...), which is again improved. Who knows

To be fair, iPhoto is quite slow when you have over a thousand images at 1024x768, even on my Powerbook with 1.25 GB of RAM. I'd imagine smart folders would be faster, and having something like spotlight may eliminate the need for using iPhoto to search for images.

I maintain that comparing apple and windows is nothing an excercise in "who gets pissed first". Let it go folks. They're in two different worlds with *some* overlap. Unless either one changes drastically, Windows will never enjoy the fluid and smooth compatibility and solidity that a closed system offers, and Apple will never enjoy the mass market appeal that universal support of peripherals and software enjoys.

Like apple.
Buy apple.
Use apple.
Be happy.

Like windows.
Buy windows.
Use windows.
Be happy.

Stop comparing apples (no pun intended) and F-150s.

PS... iPhoto runs acceptably well (speed-wise) for me with just over 2000 images in various sizes and formats. It crashes a lot tho'. More than pretty much anything I use on my Windows box.

oh i'm quite happy with my macOS. i'm just a devils advocate - a fence sitter. i like to see things from the other side. i was merely highlighting another way of thinking. windows isn't that bad, and macos isn't that good. both are flawed, but i love apple, and i like the macOS, so i use it. i don't want to cause any arguments, and i realise that any win/mac fights are paths well trodden. lets not go there

Well, no system is completely safe or perfect. However, I feel that Mac OS X in particular comes very close to my personal understanding of perfect. That is one reason why I switched to Macs. Also because everything just works for me, I have never seen a Mac crash with the things I do, while on Windows it crashed a lot. Yeah I know what they say, it always depends on the user and how he's doing things. But in my case, I do the same and now more demanding stuff, and so far, none of my Macs has crashed. So for me: I stick with Apple.

Besides that, iPhoto is doing fine for me in both machines with 1 Gig RAM each. But I also have to add to that that I don't have more than 900 pictures I think. And iPhoto did not crash on me so far.

Back