Simple Wireless Solution?

Hundo

Registered
All right, the back story: I'm a college student and in my room I have a desktop PC and my iBook, I currently use a Netgear GS605 switch to connect both of them to the internet. At my school they only allow 1 GB upload/download limit, but because of my switch each computer gets its own 1GB upload.download limit.

Now here's my question: I want to be able to use my iBook wirelessly. I was thinking of purchasing an Airport Express or Netgear WGR101 Travel Router to use with the switch. I was leaning towards the Airport express, but I know the Netgear Travel Router has a feature that would allow just my iBook to use the wireless connection. Is there such a feature on the Airport Express? The reason I want to only allow my iBook to use the wireless connection is because I don't want anyone else with a wireless card sucking up my 1 GB limit.

Every wireless router I have used has at least two ways to prevent others from using your connection.

Does that help?

Yep...its called security, which you should always enable. You can also turn the power down on the transmitter (lowers the coverage range) if you really want to limit things, as well as "hide it" from others (supposedly it's not discoverable).

Back