simpletext!

bolindilly

John Galt Member
i was sitting here thinking, and i became outraged!
textedit should be able to write in many formats, not just plain text and rtf. first of all, the rtf format it writes in isn't even that universal. word can fully read it, and some 3rd party apps can't read it either. also, it should be able to write in simpletext format!

thank you and goodnight!

P.S. i already know and use world-text in the dev package (it can read and write simpletext format, but not many people have it)

RTF is a published open standard which any self-respecting word processor can read, and usually write.

Apple does not suggest you use the TeachText format any longer. Documents ought to be in PDF, something which I support.

If you want to make TeachText files against Apple's advice check out WorldText in the dev package.

There is the problem of many text files being distributed as TeachText format.

It is annoying when you download some app that is carbonized (Yay! one day closer to not having to use Classic anymore), but then you double-click the documentation, and to your dismay, Classic crawls to life, just so SimpleText can start up.

Originally posted by scruffy
There is the problem of many text files being distributed as TeachText format.

It is annoying when you download some app that is carbonized (Yay! one day closer to not having to use Classic anymore), but then you double-click the documentation, and to your dismay, Classic crawls to life, just so SimpleText can start up.

There's a neat little solution to this one... The devtools package comes with a carbonized version of SimpleText. Install the devtools, then just delete any copies of (classic) SimpleText you may have floating around.

RTF or PDF is definitely the way to go - they're both open, flat standards that can be read on any platform out there. SimpleText's styled text format depends on resource forks, and has no advantages over the other two. Apple should be killing SimpleText, not carbonizing it.

yes, a <b>lot</b> of programs can read rtf, but all of them read it differently. different formatting is added by different programs, and sometimes precise formatting is needed... it poses many problems in the future unless a standard is made <b>universal</b>.

bolindilly
http://www.bodilly.com

Originally posted by endian
so use pdf then :)

Well, I tought this would be the most beautifull thing in my life: using PDF as the standard format for all kind of files. But TextEdit cannot read and edit text in PDF. So PDF is perfect to be read, but not to write. Can we espect something better one day, like being able to import PDF in Appleworks?

Back