simply frustrated

it's always moved this fast, especially in computing. except that a mac doesn't cost $8,000 any more. and that works out as nearer $15,000 in converted dollars.

It's interesting that PC users still say that Macs are expensive considering how they used to cost and how much they cost now. And Apple didn't even include the software that includes in current Macs in the Macs of yesteryear! If you ask me, I think the tables have turned. PC manufacturers give you little to be excited about out of the box except for the included crapware and spyware (like what Dell has been doing for some time now....just ask their XPS customers... :D). Apple definitely offers a lot out of the box at a very affordable price....you actually get what you pay for. :)

Let me just say that those that still have G5's still have an advantage over us Macintel users. WE CAN'T RUN CERTAIN APPS ON THE NEW MACS YET. For example: If I needed Photoshop CS2, I have to go to the dark side (Windows)if I want reasonable performance. There are other apps that are still not ported plus many games. Halo, runs just OK. Last I heard, a lot of the updates for games are still a ways off. Does this mean intel machines are unusable? HECK NO. But, if you require PowerPC apps with full performance, than you G5 users have the edge. So, I say be thankful for the time being.

davebz said:
Let me just say that those that still have G5's still have an advantage over us Macintel users. WE CAN'T RUN CERTAIN APPS ON THE NEW MACS YET. For example: If I needed Photoshop CS2, I have to go to the dark side (Windows)if I want reasonable performance. There are other apps that are still not ported plus many games. Halo, runs just OK. Last I heard, a lot of the updates for games are still a ways off. Does this mean intel machines are unusable? HECK NO. But, if you require PowerPC apps with full performance, than you G5 users have the edge. So, I say be thankful for the time being.

This was one of the reasons why I decided to go with my iMac G5 instead of waiting for the initial Macintels (I still like how that sounds even if Apple doesn't want them called as such :p). I knew that I would be using OS X as well as some older apps that I don't want to give up on yet for quite some time on this machine. Plus, it's a great hardware platform (at least in my opinion ;)). That's also why I have gone with a 68040 vintage Mac as well, and it hasn't failed me yet. I can even stream MP3 stations like on DI.FM on that Quadra at 33 MHz! :)

Back