since 9.2.1 no connection with pppoe anymore

pdebbas

Registered
i am running mac os 10.0.4 on a g4 powerbook. i have been using pppoe now over 6 months (since beta days) and was doing great... until i upgraded to mac os 9.2.1 a couple of days ago - maybe it is only a coincidence.

now, when i try to connect i never get further then the "Connecting PPP Server..." message and after a few seconds it gets back to "Idle". i see that a few packets are sent back and forth but with no result. also i get the following errors:

console.log reads:
Aug 23 18:44:00 Internet Connect[374] Error 19: Failed to get ppp status.
Aug 23 18:44:00 Internet Connect[374] PPPDialer dealloc called on <PPPDialer: 0x16c5d90>

system.log reads:
Aug 23 18:44:05 localhost mach_kernel: pppoe_rfc_abort
Aug 23 18:44:05 localhost mach_kernel: pppoe_rfc_connect : ac-name = '', service = ''
Aug 23 18:44:05 localhost mach_kernel: pppoe_wan_ioctl send event
Aug 23 18:44:05 localhost mach_kernel: ppp_fam_event : EVT_CONNECTING
Aug 23 18:44:05 localhost mach_kernel: PPPoE handle_PADO, offered service\name = '\MUNX11-erx', expected service\name = '\'
Aug 23 18:44:14 localhost mach_kernel: pppoe_rfc_timer, CONNECT_TIMER expires
Aug 23 18:44:14 localhost mach_kernel: ppp_fam_event : EVT_DISCONNECTED

how can i fix the problem without reinstalling the whole system?

thanx for any advice

philip

ps: tested pppoe from within 9.2.1, just in case it was a provider problem, but it all works fine.

-from munich/germany

i guess this is a t-online (germany) specific problem. but here is the solution:

when trying to connect the dsl provider is expecting<BR>t-dsl\MUNX11-erx<BR> as the service name. now until a few weeks ago you only needed to enter t-dsl for service name in the pppoe network preferences and you could still connect. now you must enter the whole string "t-dsl\MUNX11-erx" so that it works.<BR>i guess MUNX11-erx is ok if you live in munich like me. otherwise check the system.log (under terminal type "tail -30 -f /var/log/system.log" and then try connecting with internet connector and look at your log) to see if in your area t-online is expecting something else. a line should be there reading:<BR>
Aug 23 18:44:05 localhost mach_kernel: PPPoE handle_PADO, offered service\name = 't-dsl\MUNX11-erx', expected service\name = 't-dsl\'

instead of "MUNX11-erx" you might see something else. well this is what was missing. hope it helps!

philip

Back