Single_User Mode...something more

pharme

Registered
Hi to all,

Hope this can be accomodated in this category...

Quick question, how does one bootup with Single-User Mode (Verbose Mode) when the harddisk has been partitioned with Linux (debian "sarge") set as the primary bootup? On normal bootups, I could opt to 'x" to boot from Mac OS, or "c" for cd booting or not to anything to allow the default OS which is the Linux to boot.

Cmd+S obviously didn't work for me, any idea?

Thank you.

pharme

Isn't it cmd-opt-s-u? Or maybe I'm just making that up out of faulty memory...

You probably know this already, but you do know that a 'verbose' boot is different from a single user boot, right?

scruffy said:
Isn't it cmd-opt-s-u? Or maybe I'm just making that up out of faulty memory...

You probably know this already, but you do know that a 'verbose' boot is different from a single user boot, right?

Spare me the time on researching, what is cmd+opt+s+u? If it's a key combination to single user mode booting, it is cmd + s, isnt it?

Quite embarrassingly, I only know their difference in the short cut keys, have yet to explore on each of it. In fact, I need to boot up single user mode to edit the netinfo database so as to change my admin password. My arrogant side has refused me the startup CD. Let's see how persistent is the arrogance in me.

pharme

This should work. Hold down the opt key until the Mac's bootloader shows up. Then select your OS X partition to boot from. Hold down cmd+s, then hit the arrow to boot from that partition. It should start up in single user mode.

Darkshadow said:
This should work. Hold down the opt key until the Mac's bootloader shows up. Then select your OS X partition to boot from. Hold down cmd+s, then hit the arrow to boot from that partition. It should start up in single user mode.

This didn't work either. Cmd+S after selection of startup disk presented the routine startup of Mac OS. Let's see how far I can explore before turning in to my startup CD to resolve it.

Thank you.

pharme

Well, here's another you can try then. Boot into OS X, then open up the terminal and type sudo nvram boot-args=-s. This will set the computer to boot into single user mode by default. Once you've done that, then restart into OS X.

When you're done doing whatever it is you want to do in single user mode, type nvram boot-args="" to unset it, then type reboot to restart normally. If you forget to unset it, you'll boot into single user mode again.

I have no idea if this would be picked up or not in the Linux boot.

Darkshadow said:
Well, here's another you can try then. Boot into OS X, then open up the terminal and type sudo nvram boot-args=-s. This will set the computer to boot into single user mode by default. Once you've done that, then restart into OS X.

When you're done doing whatever it is you want to do in single user mode, type nvram boot-args="" to unset it, then type reboot to restart normally. If you forget to unset it, you'll boot into single user mode again.

I have no idea if this would be picked up or not in the Linux boot.

Always something new, always so much to learn, thanks Darkshadow.
That did it perfectly.
Interestingly, I have reconfigure (in Single User Mode) the Netinfo password to blank, and when logged in, launch terminal to reset the nvram boot, it prompted for a password. Took me several tries to realise I have not indicate a new password yet. And leave blank after the password prompt actually proceeds the command.

Anyhow, appreciated for cracking with me.

pharme

Oh, I should have pointed out that you didn't need to use sudo the second time around. Since you're root in single user mode, you can use nvram directly.

No problem. Glad you got it to do what you wanted. :)

Back