Site Suggestions

The basics of a nice site are there... needs more visual hierarchy though. i.e. less reliance on the blue, some sections styled slightly different, slight changes in the type hierarchy.

What I'm saying is that it's too plain at present.

Maybe thin down the height of those blue background bars as well, either there's too many of them or they need toning down.

It's ... blue! :D (That's OK :) )

It does look any-good.

Some suggestions:

- Move the white titles in the blue boxes a bit from the left edge, now they are very close to the edge of the boxes.

- It would look even better if you found a way to align the title-boxes with one another (vertically): more clean and balanced.

-Top Internet Stories: two things. You could put them in two columns (title | date) and reduce the vertical space between them. It looks a bit stretched now, because they are just one line each.

Extra's: I personally like rounded edges more, but I still haven't done it on my own site so I won't push it ... (but it would look better with rounded edges on the title-boxes ;) )

<nit-picking>it's "an update", not "a update" ;) </nit-picking>

- Too dark. Many people cannot bear such darkness long enough to read more than one or two sentences on your website. An aternate stylesheet would make some good (www.alistapart.com/stories/alternate).

A LIST APART 3 IS UP !!!! Off topic. Sorry.

- Your table design is by far useless. CSS design can do this much better. What you will gain at designing in CSS is :

Decreased bandwidth and server space
Improved accessibility to all browsers and devices (including those with disabilities)
Increased separation of presentation layer code from content
Simplified updating of look and feel
Faster page loading
Lower costs (source: www.simplebits.com)

• Definitely make more definitive borders to hold your page objects, such as news items, groups of links, etc.
  • Add about 5 pixels of padding to your headers, the ones with the blue backgrounds.
  • I personally don't like reading white text on a black background, especially if it's Verdana 10px. I'd say put Arial first and make it one size bigger, at least 13px for your style sheet.
  • You should give your elements a more contrasting background to the black, make it a medium-dark shade of gray, like 25% brightness.
  • Check for spelling and grammar errors. Bad speling and unproper grammer always put me off, especially from the webmaster (and not just the posters); get someone to check your site (categories, news items, etc.) for errors, and correct them.

The site currently lacks cohesion. It would help if there was a benner running right across the top of the page and maybe boxes around the different sections.

Personally I find all that black rather oppressive, if you want it to look business like and dark, why not try a dark grey instead.

Back