Skin X

Inovate

Registered
I have been reading thrugh this forum and cant seem to find this.
Anyone know if there is possible to skin X in macosX. like litestep for windows. and i am meaning radical skins not just the colours or the looks of the dock but the whole "X".

Thanks.

M:)

It's called "themes". I have no clue how to make them or where to get them...but I know they exsist. :)

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11162&db=mac

This is the download link for MetamorphX which is all you asked for. The application lets you load up different themes for use. Themes range from simple colour changes to removing the Aqua 'lines', right through to serious interface changes. People have developed different themes such as Sosumi theme which is v popular on amongst this forum.

But BE WARNED! several of the themes are not yet OSX 10.1 compatible and can seriously mess up your system (I know, it happened to me:eek: )

Good luck;)

I actually reinstalled 10.1 due to Themes failure. MetamorpX states that it actually checks if the theme is 10.1 compliant (by previewing the theme - if there's no preview, the theme is not compatible). But Iridium theme actualy damaged original Aqua theme, so i needed to reinstall. So, be carefull!!!!

Originally posted by neuroman
But Iridium theme actualy damaged original Aqua theme, so i needed to reinstall. So, be carefull!!!!
Hey! I made Iridium and I resent that! There is nothing in the Iridium theme that should damage your system unless you downloaded a version modified by someone else or used the old 10.0.x version on 10.1 (a BIG no-no). :eek:

By the way, Metaphorph X and the other "theme" installers do NOTHING to verify that the theme will work properly. I have always said this and still stand by it: unless you understand fundamentally how and why these themes work and take proper precautions to back up the key parts of the system they modify, you have no business installing them. You do so at your own risk.

That's the same reasoning I use with people who ask how to log in as root... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's a webite called x themination, I think, that has about 6 or 7 themes including Sine's nice-looking Sosumi. I don't have the address, but you should check forums.macnn.com because it was started by some MacNN posters.

Actually, Duality DOES check your system for damage from a theme. I should know, I wrote it.

The most common problem is the "blue screen" error at startup. This comes from a Application unable to launch because the theme is bad. The finder is a application, and if it can't launch, it just leaves you on the blue screen.

Duality checks for system damage by launching a test application. If the application works, then the system is probably not damaged. So Duality does check your system for damage. If damage is found, Duality restores Aqua.

(heres the download for Duality) http://homepage.mac.com/xmorph/DualityDE.dmg

--Colin Cornaby

Originally posted by starfleetX
Hey! I made Iridium and I resent that! There is nothing in the Iridium theme that should damage your system unless you downloaded a version modified by someone else or used the old 10.0.x version on 10.1 (a BIG no-no). :eek:

By the way, Metaphorph X and the other "theme" installers do NOTHING to verify that the theme will work properly. I have always said this and still stand by it: unless you understand fundamentally how and why these themes work and take proper precautions to back up the key parts of the system they modify, you have no business installing them. You do so at your own risk.

That's the same reasoning I use with people who ask how to log in as root... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's a webite called x themination, I think, that has about 6 or 7 themes including Sine's nice-looking Sosumi. I don't have the address, but you should check forums.macnn.com because it was started by some MacNN posters.

Yes, this software really does what metamorpX should do - it backed up Aqua...and then restored it. Sadly, Iridium still doesn't work for me : yes, it's 10.1 Theme on a 10.1 machine...but no luck.

I'm wondering - why such cooll application like Duality is not listed in MacOSXApps or Versiontracker ? It really deserves 5 stars!!!

well, while Theminator seems to support OSX 10.1 now, there are no interesting themes that I can find for 10.1. The Resexcellence ones have maybe a handful of "OSX" themes mixed in with Classic ones, and aside from simple variations of Aqua at the other sites nothing looks too interesting.

Does anyone know of any site with a lot of OS X 10.1 compatable themes? I specifically look for simple themes in dark colors. Any info would be appreciated.

I also downloaded Duality from the link above. downloads fine, but the installation of the package never asks for a password, then fails saying it can't set file permissions. I don't have the nerve to try and run it after a failed installation. (I'm on 10.1.2, if that matters)

No biggie. I've manually installed the Sosumi theme to rid myself of the tacky lines and candy colors of Aqua. One day there will be the choices that were availble to Kaledioscope.

It is amazing, though, that we have as much theme support as we do, considering every update to OSX seems to break themability again. I do wish Apple would publish a standard, supported way of theming. A big round of applause for all the hard-working themers out there. Keep it up, it's much appreciated :)

Back