skype, opening an account problem

jonnyfolk

Registered
Hi,

I'm trying to talk my mother through installing Skype on her macos x but she's encountering a few problems. I don't have experience with this OS and since she's in Oz and I'm in Europe it's proving a little problematical.

I have got her to open the download and install the Skype on her desktop. However when she gets to the open account bit, types in her new name and password the fields 'confirm password' and 'email address' are blocked and cannot be typed into. I got her to do a restart and the problem manifested itself again.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what it can be and how to overcome this?

The only thing I can think of is that she had a couple of attempts at downloading and that there might be two copies on the disk which are interfering with each other.

How can she uninstall everything to do with Skype so that she can do a one time clean install and start over?

All suggestions and contributions gratefully received...

Would be good if you could provide more details Which OS X Which Mac Which version of Skype

Sounds more like she had a problem in creating the user account. double check it.
also have a check skype preferences to make sure all ok.

IMO best is to put the app in the app folder and then drag the icon in the dock or create an alias right-clicking and move it to desktop.

cmd-f type in skype files are located in library/caches library/preferences and library/application support as well as user/library/preferences

Gig' said:
Would be good if you could provide more details Which OS X Which Mac Which version of Skype

Sounds more like she had a problem in creating the user account. double check it.
also have a check skype preferences to make sure all ok.

IMO best is to put the app in the app folder and then drag the icon in the dock or create an alias right-clicking and move it to desktop.

cmd-f type in skype files are located in library/caches library/preferences and library/application support as well as user/library/preferences

Thanks for responding. It's difficult with her on the other side of the world.
I'm not sure what there is to check at the moment - I have installed Skype on a friend's macos x and it was very straight forward, but it seems that the account set up window is not functioning correctly as it will not allow her to type into the fields as previously described.

My feeling is that a complete uninstall would allow her to start again and hopefully allow her to open an account properly.

Thanks once again...

My pleasure

sound like you have the right idea, starting from scratch and going step by step could solve the problem if not do not hesitate to revert

Back