Slave drive wont mount

xdigitaldollx

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a PC laptop harddrive that I'm trying to mount to my MacBookPro. The enclosure is homemade and powers the slavedrive up (I can hear it spinning) But nothing pops up on my desktop. Systemprofiler recognizes that a Lacie drive is hooked up via firewire and I positive that my pc slave drive is setup in slave mode.

Does the mac hard drive need to be set so it can accommodate a slave drive?

Any ideas? I've tried on three different macs and I get the same results... an unmountable drive....

If you have the drive in an external enclosure, and that enclosure only supports one drive, then jumpering the drive as "slave" is wrong.

Read the manual for the enclosure: some require that the drive be jumpered as "master" and others require that the drive be jumpered as "CS" (cable select).

"Master" and "slave" settings only apply to drives on the same IDE ribbon cable. Your MacBook Pro's hard drive is SATA (as opposed to IDE/EIDE), and SATA does not have master/slave settings.

Typically, if an IDE/EIDE drive is the only drive on a ribbon cable, then it should be jumpered as "master" or "CS." If you're using the drive in an external enclosure, then the enclosure manual will specify what to jumper the drive as.

Back