Sleep mode conserves how much power?

Gwailo

B.A. Economics (Hon)
I'm trying to figure out how much power my iMac TFT draws when the system is awake, when the screen is dead, when the HD is dead, and when the system is sleeping.

Does anyone know either percentages of max draw (e.g., Sleep draws x% of the power of an alive machine) or real values for this?

I'm trying to determine if I should undermine my power slightly to save money on hydro (however minimal, I'm an economist what can I say :rolleyes: )

TIA

It's listed as 130w max continuous power (assuming all the drives and components are running). I'd expect it would draw about 80w under normal operation (plus whatever add ons you might have), around 60w when the hard drive spins down. Knock off another 30-40 watts for the display sleep mode. When the system is in "deep sleep" mode it draws practically nothing ... only enough to keep the processor cycling, the RAM at normal power, and whatever peripherals are running. So, at a guess, around 10-20w when sleeping.
That's not too bad, when the typical PC these days draws 200-300 watts without the monitor!

Perfect, that's almost an 80% power savings :) The only problem: my wall sockets are connected to my wall switches, I hope nobody accidentaly cuts the power out! I need a UPS... :rolleyes:

Back