"Sleeping" Mac woke itself at night.

nikmat

Registered
My "Sleeping" Mac woke itself at night with a continous clicking noise in the background. This seems to have affected password approvals in many instances. Is this a "keychain" problem? IMac with Tiger OS.

clicking noise = bad
Particularly if file corruption is suspected.

Back up and check the drive's health and S.M.A.R.T status.

Perhaps a power spike? A connector coming loose? A fault on the power management unit?

Whatever it is, the very first thing I would do is back up my files and then either run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with it, or have it looked a by an Apple technician.

Thanks for suggestions...however the situation corrected itself by the end of the day. (You could be right (symphonix)...San Diego Gas & Electric known for power surges.)

Thanks for suggestions...however the situation corrected itself by the end of the day. (You could be right (symphonix)...San Diego Gas & Electric known for power surges.)

Maybe you should invest in a computer UPS system, just in case.

In System Preferences / Energy Saver, do you have a check for Options / Restart after power failure? Maybe power went off, system restarted and a drive did not mount. Is there more than one drive?

Back