Slight System Speed Inrcrease

Product Description:
Xoptimize performs the same system level optimization that installing the developer tools triggers. That is, it uses an Apple provided command line tool (i.e. a command you would use in a Terminal Window-- the "Matrix" interface, as some have labeled it) to optimize the loading time of applications. It will also make applications execute faster immediately after startup as the application will spend less time dynamically looking up and binding with various libraries and frameworks.
As of version 0.42, Xoptimize now lets you select between using lots of memory and potentially running relatively quickly or using considerably less memory and possibly taking a performance hit. The update_prebinding process will use a tremendous amount of memory-- upwards of 500MB on a system with lots of applications installed upon it-- as a normal part of operations. On systems with less than 256MB of RAM or ones that have very full hard drives, this can cause the optimization process to slow to a crawl as the system has to swap megabyte after megabyte of memory out to the hard drive. In the worst case scenario, a system with a relatively full hard drive-- less than 500MB free-- will run out of disk space and cause the optimization process to crash entirely and leave the hard drive in a damaged state.
Xoptimize now defaults to an optmization approach that attempts to use a lot less memory by dividing the calls to the underlying update_prebinding command such that each executable or library is optimized as a separate task. For systems with at least 256MB of RAM combined with relatively fast hard drives, the "use more memory" option will run considerably faster. However, for systems with constrained memory resources, the use less memory option will run potentially several orders of magnitude faster and will not use nearly as much drive space as memory is swapped.
Oddly enough, I was able to run the optimizer on a 64MB iMac in "lots of memory" mode without a problem. This is counter to a number of user reports. However, I was not running Classic at the time nor did I try to do anything else on the system as Xoptimize did its thing. Of course, this system also had a relatively default installation without development tools and, as such, had about 1/3 the number of files to process. In any case, the "low memory" option worked fine, as well.

Download XOptimize

Actually, Twyg, the password that's asked for when you run sudo is that of the user running it, not the root password. That's why you can use sudo without enabling root. ;)

You may need to have something for a password before sudo will work (I don't know for sure, since I've always had a password).

Also, you must be an administrator user to use sudo (they don't want to give easy root access to normal users). Odds are, unless you've created new users since installing X, your default user is an administrator.

Of course, this is all just my $0.02CDN.

Leland Jory
"Mac OS X users swear by their computers. Windows XP users swear at their computers."

Number of non-prebound files: 0
Number of files that may need to be re-prebound : 855
Number of files re-prebound: 1
Number of files unsuccessfully prebound: 29

What about those 29?

.anerki

When I typed
sudo update_prebinding -root /

and then typed my password it went to the next line, doing nothing also. It worked when I just did

su

then entered my password then

update_prebinding -root /

just don't forget to type exit to get out of su mode when you're done :)

Back