Slow launch times...?

AxsDeny

Registered
So does anyone else have significantly slow load times on their apps? When i first reboot, it takes 58 bounces before Terminal.app actually opens. I just defragged my HD and my specs are as follows:

Dual 500 MHz, 512 SDRAM, 32Meg Radeon

Does anyone have any clue as to why the performance issues would be like this? Also, i get frequent spinning beach ball dics time when i open a flder that has over 128 files in it. ugh. So irritating.

Any tips?

Not really, but give this a shot. Update application prebinding for faster application load.

sudo /usr/bin/update_prebinding -root /

As far as folders are concerned, your HD is likely fragmented (my guess). Just out of curiosity, what folders do you have with more than 128 items?

okay, i did the prebinding thing. Can you give me an idea of what that does? hate just doing something and not knowing what it does. Here's the results...

Number of non-prebound files: 0
Number of files that may need to be re-prebound : 876
Number of files re-prebound: 12
Number of files unsuccessfully prebound: 28
2002-05-04 10:18:14.777 update_prebinding[781] update_prebinding done.
2002-05-04 10:18:14.777 update_prebinding[781] End of update_prebinding

As for the folders... my MP3 folder, Pictures folder, and my $HOME folder...

mp3 folder has about 850 files
Pictures has about 4000 files
$HOME has about 150

It's strange.

also I did a defrag and it told me there was serious fragmentation, so i defragged and it took care of it. the slowness issue still seems to be an issue.

Prebinding is a UNIX feature that binds resources to your applications. For an illustration of applications native to OS X, go to /Applications and type ``l`` (this is an alias to ``ls -la``) and you'll see that Mail is actually ``Mail.app`` and a directory :) cd Mail.app and check out the stuff in there. Not a regular executable.

As far as fragmentation goes, it's a big problem, and defragmenting usually fixes that. What utility did you use to defragment?

Now for the clincher, is your HD formatted in UFS or HFS+? UNIX File System partitions are, as [leche?] put is, dog-slow. It's really not designed for personal computing, just server applications (application as in task, not executable).

If your HD is formatted to UFS, I would suggest backing everything up and reformatting.

nope, formatted as HFS+

I used (*shudder*) norton Speed Disk to do the defrag. It ws the only defrag util I had, and i had to boot into 9 to do it. Very irritating. It did clean up the fragging, but speed hasn't picked up at all. At least in relation to Terminal.app

You'd think with all the cool utilities taht Apple inccluded with OS X, it would have included a built in defragger.

Its a bit of a long shot but try MacJanitor (get it on version tracker for OS X). OS X normally runs some housekeeping scripts late at night. If your computer is normally off or sleeping at these times they might not run. MacJanitor lets you run those housekeeping scripts on demand.

I would also rebuild the desktop in OS 9.

Back