Slow login with all accounts apart from root

bookem

danno
My imac 400/256 has been running osx for a few months perfectly. Now, it takes about 2 minutes to log in with any account whether it's admin or user. I've tried making new accounts, but they're the same. Strangely the root account is fine - takes 10-15 seconds for the dock to appear.

9.1 works fine. I've tried resetting pram, and fsck, but it's still the same. I don't really want to have to reinstall.

Are your accounts using network home directories, or do your default shell profiles (like .cshrc or .login) do some kind of network operation?

One explanation for the 2-minute timeout is DNS. If you're on a 'private' network (addresses 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x), or if you're on a host whose address isn't in DNS, and you're trying to contact a remote host during login, you could be waiting for a DNS timeout on whatever service you're using.

Something to try to verify this is, once you're logged in, ftp or telnet to a known host somewhere that you should be able to access. If you have the same kind of delay, this could be the problem.

It's a shot in the dark.

Regards,

Justin

Back