slow-motion minimize

marin

Registered
Not the most useful feature, but if you want to see your window minimize in slow motion, hold shift while clicking on the minimize button. When you click on the window in the tray and hold shift, it works too.

Seems to me that they always minimize in slow motion!
Of course, that's on my beige 233 g3. Yes, Aqua looks really cool, and the in-laws are indeed impressed, as I was for about 5 minutes. But now, it's just slow.

I think Apple needs to add some customization features, like when you resize windows, etc, for folks like me, who don't have (or can't afford) a gig of ram, or a 500 mhz processor, or 128 megs of vram. I'm sure that Aqua is snappy as possible on a shiny new g4, but what about those of us who bought a new mac LAST year, or all those people who bought the FIRST imac?

I'm not saying take Aqua out, I personally am starting to really like it, I just want to be able to turn off some things, or at least adjust them to be faster.

Anyone who's ever used almost any X-windows manager knows what I'm talking about.
For those of you who haven't, they let you adjust all sorts of aspects of the gui, like if you don't have the vram or graphics card or whatever to redraw a translucent window you can set it to just draw outlines, making it much more responsive. I had to do this in linuxppc for a while, before I got accelerated video to work.

My point is that no matter how cool it looks, if it's not useable, it won't be cool for long. Kinda like the round mouse and small keyboard. I just hope that it doesn't take as long to fix these issues!

The problem with the beta is that it uses software rendering because it can't use the ATI card
already present in Macs, and that is why it seems slow, but when the final rolls out it will use the Rage card in your mac to render graphics thus making it faster ;)

actually, on my g4 dp, i was not impressed with how aqua performed minimization. I hate it. it is using both processors, but it only gives decent performance to a full-screen window when you are using a resolution of about 1024x768, anything higher it is frighteningly choppy.

The problem with the beta is that it uses software rendering because it can't use the ATI card
already present in Macs, and that is why it seems slow, but when the final rolls out it will use the Rage card in your mac to render graphics thus making it faster

Makes sense. but when it does come out(the final)
I want to be able to turn them off or on anyway.
I want the customization!

Thanks for the insight AK.

1) Customization is Good :D Gimme more customization :D

2) On my G3 I can only get 836*624 maximum, my comuter does not allow me to go higher

Back